Desolation Report - 11 in 2.5hrs

S

SIR

So the great news was we put 11 springs in the boat in 2.5 hrs. The not so great news was that only 3 were keepers. Got to say though it wasn't boring I don't think my butt was ever on a seat for more than a few minutes. Lot's of exercise working the gear, good "spring training"..... :D

All in 180-190 feet, right on bottom with tiger prawn and green glow hootchies. We were even up to 48" tails and were still catching feeder fish on a 3-4kph troll. New technique this year is that I have been squirting the Anchovy Paste that you can buy at crappy tire or walmart into the heads of the hootchies. Have to say that on the surface it seems to be effective. Should try running them side by side with/without the paste but I don't want to experiment when I have clients in the boat. If your catching fish everyones happy, don't reach into the experimental side of the tackle box until things turn bad :) Still using black flashers - if you fish deep and aren't catching much give em a try.....

Sunny, no wind and lot's of fish - life doesn't get any better!!!

Ian, nice going. Were you channel again? Ain't it grand when the fish are showing. [8D]

That's more Spring Salmon than I've heard about from that neck o' the woods in 20 years!

Well Done!

Yep, up the channel. Seems like lot's of folks up and down our side of the strait are catching a whack of little-uns along with the usual numbers/sizes we see this time of year. Not sure what it means.... but it beats not catchin fish :D

It was almost erie not a seal in sight all day....

Steve can you let me know how that sounder/gps combo works out for you after a few trips out. I was looking at that model as well but am struggling with combo vs individual units for the extra screen space. My current sounder is only good up to half throttle so I'm thinking it will take a 500W RMS unit to work at speed. Can you let me know if you find the screen usable with both the sounder and map running and what speed the sounder tracks bottom up to. I'm hoping Santa Claus brings me a solution to the problem but I need to know what to ask HER for in this years letter to the North Pole :D

Ian I've got to tell you the only way to go is the combo. You can dual screen both or full screen either. The gps is killer. The sounder issues that I have are mount location specific only. The unit is the greatest. Give me a call if you have any questions. You will love the unit, very compact, get the colour.

Thanks Steve - give me an update after you've used it for a while.

LC, go get brining!!! Plan on making it out with you next year to try some Halibut fishing in the spring, got's to try me some of that! May bring along the father/fatherinlaw - fathers day, birthday and Christmas presents for two all in one neat package :)

RS I usually only run the one frequency unless I'm bottom fishing. What RMS wattage is your sounder and up to what speed can it read bottom at 50' and 300'? If it's a 300W unit are you transom mounted or shooting thru the hull?

quote:RS I usually only run the one frequency unless I'm bottom fishing. What RMS wattage is your sounder and up to what speed can it read bottom at 50' and 300'? If it's a 300W unit are you transom mounted or shooting thru the hull?

I have my transducer transom mounted, however i had to play around
with it a bit to get the right spot.
turbulence will cause loss of signal, also running at high speed.
i can usually stay in touch with the bottom up to about 200'
running between 20-25 knots.
will check on the RMS and advise

Sir - FYI if your already looking at two units anyway, I would suggest getting two identical GPS/sounder units. The difference in price is negliable when getting a sounder only unit. That way if one has a problem (which seems to happen quite often) you've got the other as a backup.

This is the 3rd season for that unit, I've had no issues with it other than the placement thing. I changed the location with advice from MY ESCAPE (thanks KEV)last night. I'll be out Sun, so we'll see.
As far as the unit itself goes. GREAT !!! I love it !!! Wouldn't change a thing. Great resolution, compact, versitile I could go on...

quote:Originally posted by SIR

Thanks Steve - give me an update after you've used it for a while.

LC, go get brining!!! Plan on making it out with you next year to try some Halibut fishing in the spring, got's to try me some of that! May bring along the father/fatherinlaw - fathers day, birthday and Christmas presents for two all in one neat package :)

You bet, we'll make some arms tired LOL.

Thanks Steve! Like the unit as it is now MD so available at a reasonable price :)

DrHook - good idea but I'm just going to leave the transducer/power plug from my current sonar unit in place so I can use it as backup and my existing garmin gps is portable so I'll have it as a backup. Santa may go for one new toy but I'm not sure I'll have been good enough this year to try for two.... and next year may be a new outboard year :(

LC - my dad's getting to the age where a 15-20# salmon is a real challenge for him so there may need to be some "son-assist" involved, dang :D

Off to take a group crabbing for the afternoon - unusual request as a stand alone activity but who am I to question a trip that is going to use a LOT less gas [8D]

Back