Derelict boats on B.C.'s shores

Breakin"even

Crew Member
The federal government has announced funding and partnerships to remove dozens of derelict boats from B.C.'s shores. Transport Canada announced on Tuesday, Feb. 16, that it will spend $1.7 million on 95 boat assessment and boat removal projects in B.C., Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador. They are promising to pay 100% of costs rather than 75%.

Still think in BC the 12% we get charged on the sale of a boat should be put into something like this vs General Revenue.
I believe that 12% tax, ie GST plus PST, on used boats is an enhanced PST. So it all goes to the province.
I agree that it should be a targeted fund, but no politician will ever give up the General Revenue.
How would they ever get reelected if they couldn't tap into General Revenue to give us all a nice cheque for our vote?

I believe that 12% tax, ie GST plus PST, on used boats is an enhanced PST. So it all goes to the province.
I agree that it should be a targeted fund, but no politician will ever give up the General Revenue.
How would they ever get reelected if they couldn't tap into General Revenue to give us all a nice cheque for our vote?
Absolutely it all goes to the Province and should be a pretty tidy sum.

Back