Deep Dropping In The Straits

Mako 22

Anyone Halibut fished deep to 600 feet or more in the Straits in the past? Just looks fishy to me.

I am wrapping two deep drop rods for use with 3 pound sinkers. Thought some of you would be interested in the process.

DSCN6755.JPG

Laying out underwraps
DSCN6768.JPG

DSCN6771.JPG

Underwraps
DSCN6777.JPG

DSCN6770.JPG

Roller tip that swivels
DSCN6756.JPG

Tools of the trade. Build sheet on the clipboard.
DSCN6768.JPG

3 coats of color preserver. GudeBrod size D thread.
I will be wrapping the guides on tomorrow.

Last edited:
Anyone Halibut fished deep to 600 feet or more in the Straits in the past? Just looks fishy to me.

I am wrapping two deep drop rods for use with 3 pound sinkers. Thought some of you would be interested in the process.

View attachment 64670

Laying out underwraps
View attachment 64672

View attachment 64671

Underwraps
View attachment 64673

View attachment 64674

Roller tip that swivels
View attachment 64675

View attachment 64676

You mean 2.2 lb sinkers? ;)

there is a weight restriction up here but maybe none in Washington state ?

beautiful clean work! i’ve done some repairs on an old hali rod but never a straight up build from scratch! one day!

View attachment 64670

Laying out underwraps
View attachment 64672

View attachment 64671

Underwraps
View attachment 64673

View attachment 64674

Roller tip that swivels
View attachment 64675

View attachment 64676

I fish Halibut +600' often. When ever it's tough on the shallow structure or just busy I go deep.

A few years back I was on the down dip side of a hump that came up to ~280'. The depth where I was fishing was about '500. Because we were on water you can hear everything. I recall the guide making fun of me to his clients. Apparently I was clueless.. I starting fishing upstream of the tide. (Tide was pulling sent from the hump into deeper water)

5 min later we had a double header & 2 x ~50# halibut in the boat...

I fish Halibut +600' often. When ever it's tough on the shallow structure or just busy I go deep.

A few years back I was on the down dip side of a hump that came up to ~280'. The depth where I was fishing was about '500. Because we were on water you can hear everything. I recall the guide making fun of me to his clients. Apparently I was clueless.. I starting fishing upstream of the tide. (Tide was pulling sent from the hump into deeper water)

5 min later we had a double header & 2 x ~50# halibut in the boat...

They are out there in the deep. Friends in Coos Bay fish to 800 ft often. Looking at the charts there is a lot of bottom that Halibut like on this side of the border in the deep. Perfect bottom for dragging big herring: Sandy/gravel with a few humps here and there.

DSCN6375.JPG

I just got a Tanacom 750 and was thinking of drifting deep/drop

May have to try some fishy areas in the streights.

Besides bait would lures work?

I just got a Tanacom 750 and was thinking of drifting deep/drop

May have to try some fishy areas in the streights.

Besides bait would lures work?

No light, no bite. Either somthing that glows bright or my favorite is a "lighthouse lures" LED squid. With salmon belly

Wondering if the rods with the angled butt ends are needed or if there is a heavy Hali rod out there that will do the trick?
Thanks
Bent butt fish rods are traditionally for high speed trolling for marlin and tuna and wahoo. When fighting your fish standing up, they give you more leverage and comfort over the long haul. With deep dropping the bent butt rods are able to reach further out off the gunnel at a lower angle to make hook ups easier.

What kind of rod and reel do you recommend for fishing something that deep? Thinking off the shelf rather than custom.
Biggest problem is the weight at depths. A lot of hard cranking. We can use electrics here in bandits land so the rods I am building are designed for electrics.

80 pound rated blanks. The swivel tip keeps the thin braid from slipping beside the roller in the tip and cutting the line. Sturdy offshore big game butts to take the strain when the outfit is fished in the rod holder, dragging the weight on the bottom.

Bent Butt rods? They would work great if the rod holders in the small boats we fish out of were sturdier. Typical rod holder will not take the stress of dragging a big sinker on the bottom. Sword fish guys that deep drop use the bent butt rods in a stout rod holder and a big electric reel. Rod stays in the holder when fighting a fish. A big sword at depths is capable of yanking a gent overboard if he is using a stand up rod matched to the strength of the sword and is foolishly harnessed up to the reel. Not a timid sport.

I am using straight butts and heavy duty stainless steel rod holders. I machined a base out of 7075 T6 aluminum that mounts on the downrigger swivel bases. Rods extend outward at right angle to the boat gunnels. Tipped up about 10 degrees. Yes, I use lanyards on the rods.

But the rods I am building shown here will be used mostly for prospecting new areas in the deeper parts of the straits. Most of the time when bait fishing I am using a 50 pound class rod with a Penn 330 manual reel and 65 pound braid. They work fine in the heavy duty Scotty rod holder.

If I find any honey holes at depths I will mark on the chart plotter for future return with a 330 Penn, custom 50 pound jigging rod I built, and 16 ounce jigs.

DSCN6246.JPG

Last edited:
Back