Deception

R

reelBitch

Where has our money gone? Who is running the show?

For some time now I've heard many 'stories' from friends and acquaintances within the Sooke fishing community about the Sooke Salmon Classic and Sooke Harbour Marina. The stories have revolved around lack of recognition, payments, back door dealings, employment, and theft.

I was recently forwarded the following email and would like your insight or imput regarding this matter:

Thanks,

reelBitch

*For profit not for salmon
I want to make a public apology to the community of Sooke.
In October of 2008 I emailed the manager of the Sooke Harbour Resort with a brief outline of what would later become the Vancouver Island Salmon Classic. At the initial meeting in December I briefed a selected group of interested parties (six or seven people) who all were prepared to volunteer their time and effort to make this a reality.
I was very specific that there were to be three primary reasons for holding this tournament. Number one was a sizeable donation from proceeds to local salmon restoration projects. Number two was to help put Sooke on the sport fishing destination map. The third was to promote the resort. A sold out event would fill the resort’s rooms with persons who would otherwise likely never stay there. Maybe even sell a unit if they were fortunate.
At that initial meeting everyone, including the manager at the time and one of the resort’s investors, agreed that a sizeable donation to local salmon projects was essential if we were to obtain community support. Sadly this has not happened and the Vancouver Island Salmon Classic is not much more than a private-for-profit derby. Some of the ownership group do not seem to appreciate the hard work put in over the years by many local volunteers to save and restore local salmon populations. Salmon runs that support their business directly.
My thought in the beginning was that this tournament would result in a few local Chinook salmon being caught, but the money raised and donated would result in many more being put back.
If I had to do it all over again I would have approached a non-profit society and worked with them to create what would have truly been a great event for Sooke. Do it all over again? We’ll see, time will tell.
To those of you who I talked to personally in the very beginning that opposed this tournament I do apologize. You felt this would be a “for-profit-tournament” and I assured you that a donation was the number one priority. Lesson learned.
It is sad you can’t just take people on their word.
Rollie Rose
Victoria*

deadhorse.gif

Good Luck in finding another venue of this calibre to host such an event. With all the BS surrounding the event
who is going to invest? How about a Cheanuh/Bear Mountain partnership.

The participants themselves are the investors at $6,000 a team...everyone else is/was a supplier. The next "one" if the facilities are built should be run by a non-profit society. The marina was the host and management team. That is the part that needs to change. A local non-profit society with specific goals of local salmon enhancement would be ideal. There is a possible new venue being completed as we speak. Onsite moorage is the snag for this year.

You know You say on your last paragraph
It is sad you can’t just take people on their word.
And you slagged this derby all summer long even pulling out of it because you didnt think it was right???? and then you go in it anyways after you made a mockery of it!!!! what good is your "word".
I kinda have a clue to your motives but why do you have to drag it around and around, YES ill give you credit to your vision but it was just an idea you presented to the people involved and they went with it and did there own take on it.
I really dont care why/how/when.

You and myself and all the other "teams"that went into this derby with one goal and that was to "PROFIT" from it for the chance of winning 100,000

Wolf

images-1.jpg

The "Classic" is being held again this summer by the marina. Roy, you know what my motives were, it was not to profit from it. (not this year) I was going to donate my 1/4 share of any winnings to salmon enhancement and personally take care of something that was promised. That was the only reason I excepted an offer in the final days leading up to the derby to help an entered team that had boat problems. BTW, I also gave up 2 days of paid chartering to do this. You are right I did have a vision, for Sooke to hold a first class salmon tournament that would make more people ware of our area and to put a major donation into local salmon projects every year. Neither has resulted. Did you think the tournament was first class? Or did you see corners cut where ever possible to cut costs and increase profits. All I did was make an apology to those who have also been disappointed and to those who from the start were wiser than I to see this coming. BTW, please don't give me credit for it, I'm not proud of it at all.
If the marina had donated money to salmon enhancement from the "tournament monies" and lived up to that single major promise, I could forget all the other personal promises they also made to all involved in the beginning.

ALL I can say is why now??? why cant you just let it go???it is over, enough said people are getting really tired of it.including me.
Sorry it didnt go the way YOU wanted it but in life a lot of things dont.

Wolf

I guess I have a conscience. Now that I have my business and boat elsewhere I can make an apology without worrying about repercussions. BTW there was a high lite for me from the 2010 event. I was really happy to see Georges team take 2nd place and win a nice pot of cash. Here is a guy who works his butt off every year (for 20 or so now) to put on the most popular derby in Victoria. A derby that has contributed many dollars over its existence back into salmon enhancement. A derby he personally can't participate in. It was very nice to see a reward to someone who unselfishly dedicates many hours of his own time for a great cause. Makes you think there actually may be a god up there.

Ya your rite pro it was very cool seeing big D all teary eyed giving his kids a hug. THE AFTER PARTY HE PUT ON WAS EVEN BETTER. lol

Back