dear gov and commissioners

reelfast

on June 7th, the following letter was sent, certified, to the governor and all DFW commissioners. yesterday, at the statewide PSA meeting, the letter was made public. our group felt the first step in this process was to give those with the authority to act notice that we expect them to stop sitting on their hands. if not, we have already discussed next steps. thought you folks might be interested in activities south of the border. [8D]

----------------------------------------------

An Open Letter to:
Governor Gregoire
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Commissioners

Governor and Commissioners:

We are a group of ordinary citizens who reside in Washington State. We all enjoy the out-of-doors with a passion for sport fishing. Some of us have been doing this for the last eight or nine decades. All of us have become increasingly concerned with the continuing decline in our wild spawning salmon and steelhead populations. While we read about a host of intertwined issues: bad planning, construction on flood plains, urban runoff, the ubiquitous ‘ocean conditions’; we never seem to see any concern for the conservation of these resources being acted upon by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), the agency for which you provide oversight.

So why publish an open letter? The sport angling community is not an organized lobbying force. You don’t have to pay attention to our concerns. Yet even in these hard economic times, we provide almost 1 billion dollars in annual spending that supports small businesses and local communities all over our state as well as a significant portion of the WDFW annual budget.

We feel that the state has reached the point of no return with our naturally spawning salmon and steelhead. It appears that the WDFW and its predecessor agencies have already allowed dozens and dozens of unique wild fish populations to become extirpated or to go extinct. The time for your action is far overdue. We recognize the work done by the Hatchery Scientific Review Group (HSRG) but don’t see the Commission acting to implement any of the recommendations, only requests for more ‘studies’ costing more money and increasing constraints on only the recreational fishing community.

It is well documented that every time a ‘projection’ becomes available with fewer and fewer fish returning, the response is to immediately reduce sport fishing seasons or require selective fishing methods. What we don’t see is a comprehensive plan that also reduces commercial harvest, tribal and non-tribal, by a commensurate percentage, or requires their use of selective commercial harvest methods.

Each and every sport season we carefully record our catch on the Catch Record Card (CRC) which we are required to purchase and return to WDFW. Since about 2004, the staff at WDFW has failed to summarize and examine this real data, data which represents the actual numbers of fish caught in the various areas of our state. Instead, you have supported the use of unreliable statistical tools which are producing estimates whose validity cannot be verified.

The statistical technique currently supported by you involves collecting a ‘sample of convenience’, using interviews with a few sport anglers in a very limited number of locations. WDFW staff then uses this minimal pool of information to close seasons in areas where not a single angler may have been interviewed.

As you might know, US Senator Charles E. Schumer has called national attention to the use of such questionable estimation methodologies and declared: “…keeping our fishing stocks healthy is absolutely critical, and to accomplish this we can’t base decisions on outdated science and poor methods…” The Senator went on to say “…We need better science and more data-based flexibility in our fishing management regulations…the fishing community needs fairness and relief from flawed survey data, now…”.

There is much work for you to accomplish and not much time remaining to save our wild fish. The extinction clock has no time out. We believe the legal powers vested in you as Commissioners allow you too immediately and without hesitation put into practice requirements to save our wild fish. The actions you can take are simple and clear and supported by both the 1974 Boldt decision as well as the authority vested in the RCW which allow the Commission to regulate harvest methods as well as conserve unique stocks of fish.

You must also realize that each and every citizen of this state who cares about our iconic wild salmon and steelhead have reached the point of demanding action on your part. It is no longer sufficient to sit and not act.

The time has finally arrived for all citizens to stand together, no matter what group or organization they represent, and by standing shoulder to shoulder demand that our wild fish be preserved. Working with the Commission is most desirable, but preserving our wild fishes will come first and foremost.

To start the process of an aggressive recovery program, we are asking for your response to the following questions:

1. When are you going to stop the practice of looking only at Maximum Sustained Yield (MSY), commonly referred to in the sport angling community as overharvest, as what appears to be the only viable goal of WDFW in support of the commercial fishing industry?
2. When are you going to insist on the use of the accurate data you already collect via the Catch Record Cards, along with the best science available, for decision making by WDFW?
3. What is your time-line to require the application of selective fishing methods by all, sport anglers and commercial harvesters, tribal and non-tribal, to protect wild stocks from unnecessary harvest impacts?

Respectfully,

The 183 members
Puget Sound Anglers – North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
P.O. Box 2726
Sequim, WA 98382

Quite a pretty good letter there! Glad to see I am not the only one that writes letters! I write many!

Please don’t take this wrong – as everything mentioned is a valid concern and I personally appreciate anything that can be done to help save and improve our conditions here! But, I am not so sure the letter is addressing the correct issues or being sent to the right people? IMHO

At this point in time, it seems all the requests for additional studies are coming more from the ‘Obama’ administration more than anywhere else. That will become the death of our salmon, quickly and I am seeing those requests and chances thoughout, including NOAA. I am not sure “I” would be planning any next steps, unless it is a lawsuit against the U.S. government and/or asking for impeachment due to gross stupidly? It’s alright though – he’ll just print another trillion dollars in paper money!

None of those issues mentioned are new as stated, in fact it is correct some issues are very old and we still haven’t got them worked out. The ‘one billion in annual spending’ is actually fisheries directly and indirectly supported an estimated 16,374 jobs and $540 million in personal income in 2006. When viewed in the context of the Washington state economy, these levels of employment and earnings account for about 0.4 percent of total statewide employment and about 0.2 percent of total statewide personal income. That is total. The recreational fishing generates the larger share of economic impacts, supporting 12,850 jobs or more than three-quarters of the fishing-related jobs in 2006. Of the jobs supported by recreational anglers, state residents accounted for more than 90 percent of the spending supporting these jobs. The non-treaty commercial fishery in Washington waters also contributes an estimated $38 million in net economic values (net income or profits). Recreational fisheries generate an estimated $424 million in net economic values (over and above expenditures). When it actually gets down to it – fishing is a very small part of Washington’s GDP, but it is still considered a very important part!

Washington is well ‘beyond’ that point of no return with naturally spawning salmon and steelhead – hence the Endangered Species Act listings (which I don’t like the direction they are going, either). That is very well known and again goes back to ‘Obama administration’. That would be approximately 16 known ‘salmon’ species extinct. Concerning the WDFW Commission, it has acted and it is currently implementing some of those recommendations mentioned. I am not sure where that came from? I believe, it was one of those commissions that made the statement, ‘it is time for less studies and more action”?

There is quite a comprehensive harvest plan (which is also international), especially of salmon. That is very much monitored and controlled. Example, how many commercial, tribal or sport salmon fishing did you see/do in the month of May here in Puget Sound – that would be none!

“The statistical technique currently supported by you involves collecting a ‘sample of convenience’, using interviews with a few sport anglers in a very limited number of locations.” And “ US Senator Charles E. Schumer” from NEW YORK! Does anyone really believe the Governor or Washington or the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Commissioners really care, what a “New York Senator” has to say about “New York”? Good luck with that one. This might surprise, but WDFW has failed there because they do not have ‘actual’ numbers of salmon caught by the sport anglers! They can tell you exactly what the commercial and tribal number are, but their sport numbers are very skewed. WDFW must be taking lessons from DFO there? They have NOT been enforcing our laws regarding the CRC salmon catch records for years, period! That would be a large issue, as without those numbers – they are indeed doing just as DFO and simply guessing our numbers! Don’t believe me – ask them for their numbers of licenses issued compared to the required by law CRC returned. Then ask why they are/do enforce Dungeness crab CRC (where you actually are fined $10.00 for not returning that information), but the salmon CRC? Yep, that would be an issue!

I am not sure “I” would want to go down the road to open a debate of maximum sustainable yield and compare it to overfishing with anyone at WDFW? They are not the same, but there are views and valid concerns stating some of the dangers of using the MSY theory. You might as well try debating ‘Tragedy of Commons” and “Global Warming” with Al Gore?

Might want to re-think those ‘next steps’? I can see nothing in the letter that is going to do anything, other than get the same standard ‘thank you for your concerns’?

Here is some links for you, if you haven’t already seen them:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/
http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/release.php?id=nov0609a
http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/mission_goals.html
Fish and Wildlife Commission adopts new policy on state's hatcheries and fisheries
Economic Analysis of the Non-Treaty Commercial and Recreational Fisheries in Washington State
Columbia River Spring Chinook Update

FYI… By the time, you put the ESA, Columbia, eastern Washington, and tribal in the picture – that leaves Puget Sound salmon anglers pretty much way on the bottom of the priority list! I am surprised – we get to fish at all! And, if you don’t think those privately funded organizations are having an impact on our salmon survival – you might reconsider that!

Yea, I have been down this road, also – it is quite bumpy!
Just my dimes worth, Good luck.

Quite a pretty good letter there! Glad to see I am not the only one that writes letters! I write many!

Please don’t take this wrong – as everything mentioned is a valid concern and I personally appreciate anything that can be done to help save and improve our conditions here! But, I am not so sure the letter is addressing the correct issues or being sent to the right people? IMHO

At this point in time, it seems all the requests for additional studies are coming more from the ‘Obama’ administration more than anywhere else. That will become the death of our salmon, quickly and I am seeing those requests and chances thoughout, including NOAA. I am not sure “I” would be planning any next steps, unless it is a lawsuit against the U.S. government and/or asking for impeachment due to gross stupidly? It’s alright though – he’ll just print another trillion dollars in paper money!

None of those issues mentioned are new as stated, in fact it is correct some issues are very old and we still haven’t got them worked out. The ‘one billion in annual spending’ is actually fisheries directly and indirectly supported an estimated 16,374 jobs and $540 million in personal income in 2006. When viewed in the context of the Washington state economy, these levels of employment and earnings account for about 0.4 percent of total statewide employment and about 0.2 percent of total statewide personal income. That is total. The recreational fishing generates the larger share of economic impacts, supporting 12,850 jobs or more than three-quarters of the fishing-related jobs in 2006. Of the jobs supported by recreational anglers, state residents accounted for more than 90 percent of the spending supporting these jobs. The non-treaty commercial fishery in Washington waters also contributes an estimated $38 million in net economic values (net income or profits). Recreational fisheries generate an estimated $424 million in net economic values (over and above expenditures). When it actually gets down to it – fishing is a very small part of Washington’s GDP, but it is still considered a very important part!

Washington is well ‘beyond’ that point of no return with naturally spawning salmon and steelhead – hence the Endangered Species Act listings (which I don’t like the direction they are going, either). That is very well known and again goes back to ‘Obama administration’. That would be approximately 16 known ‘salmon’ species extinct. Concerning the WDFW Commission, it has acted and it is currently implementing some of those recommendations mentioned. I am not sure where that came from? I believe, it was one of those commissions that made the statement, ‘it is time for less studies and more action”?

There is quite a comprehensive harvest plan (which is also international), especially of salmon. That is very much monitored and controlled. Example, how many commercial, tribal or sport salmon fishing did you see/do in the month of May here in Puget Sound – that would be none!

“The statistical technique currently supported by you involves collecting a ‘sample of convenience’, using interviews with a few sport anglers in a very limited number of locations.” And “ US Senator Charles E. Schumer” from NEW YORK! Does anyone really believe the Governor or Washington or the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Commissioners really care, what a “New York Senator” has to say about “New York”? Good luck with that one. This might surprise, but WDFW has failed there because they do not have ‘actual’ numbers of salmon caught by the sport anglers! They can tell you exactly what the commercial and tribal number are, but their sport numbers are very skewed. WDFW must be taking lessons from DFO there? They have NOT been enforcing our laws regarding the CRC salmon catch records for years, period! That would be a large issue, as without those numbers – they are indeed doing just as DFO and simply guessing our numbers! Don’t believe me – ask them for their numbers of licenses issued compared to the required by law CRC returned. Then ask why they are/do enforce Dungeness crab CRC (where you actually are fined $10.00 for not returning that information), but the salmon CRC? Yep, that would be an issue!

I am not sure “I” would want to go down the road to open a debate of maximum sustainable yield and compare it to overfishing with anyone at WDFW? They are not the same, but there are views and valid concerns stating some of the dangers of using the MSY theory. You might as well try debating ‘Tragedy of Commons” and “Global Warming” with Al Gore?

Might want to re-think those ‘next steps’? I can see nothing in the letter that is going to do anything, other than get the same standard ‘thank you for your concerns’?

Here is some links for you, if you haven’t already seen them:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/
http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/release.php?id=nov0609a
http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/mission_goals.html
Fish and Wildlife Commission adopts new policy on state's hatcheries and fisheries
Economic Analysis of the Non-Treaty Commercial and Recreational Fisheries in Washington State
Columbia River Spring Chinook Update

FYI… By the time, you put the ESA, Columbia, eastern Washington, and tribal in the picture – that leaves Puget Sound salmon anglers pretty much way on the bottom of the priority list! I am surprised – we get to fish at all! And, if you don’t think those privately funded organizations are having an impact on our salmon survival – you might reconsider that!

Yea, I have been down this road, also – it is quite bumpy!
Just my dimes worth, Good luck.

thanks for your thoughts charlie. getting a group of folks on the same page is a process. many comprimises had to occur to get this first step out the door. it was not my desired starting point but it happened.

if we get the brush off, everyone is going to know and may in fact provide some motivation for a next step(s). so if you choose to pass this letter along to interested individuals or organizations, please do so as the more folks aware, the greater the pressure to act.

i have carried out a debate, since i know alot about statistics, with both the puget sound salmon managers as well as the halibut management team. the distribution list for this debate was about 50 individuals so it is now widely known that the statistical methodologies being used lack validity.

they may try to ignore you and me, but they can't hide, and sooner or later 'we the people' are going to make them a useless commission via actions taken to circumvent their charge.

thanks for your thoughts charlie. getting a group of folks on the same page is a process. many comprimises had to occur to get this first step out the door. it was not my desired starting point but it happened.

if we get the brush off, everyone is going to know and may in fact provide some motivation for a next step(s). so if you choose to pass this letter along to interested individuals or organizations, please do so as the more folks aware, the greater the pressure to act.

i have carried out a debate, since i know alot about statistics, with both the puget sound salmon managers as well as the halibut management team. the distribution list for this debate was about 50 individuals so it is now widely known that the statistical methodologies being used lack validity.

they may try to ignore you and me, but they can't hide, and sooner or later 'we the people' are going to make them a useless commission via actions taken to circumvent their charge.

Back