Daughter wants to get married...

Merrittboy

My daughter has suggested that she wants to marry the guy she has lived with for almost 4 years so she is hoping that I would sell my boat and finance her wedding. I just picked up this boat last year and had a great summer with it fishing out in Renny. So am interested to know what you guys would say to your daughters if this was you. As I love my daughter very much I would love to help her out with her plans. So what should I say or do? LOL, this is just for interest sake as I have already given her my response. Is it a tough decision? Fishing or the love of your daughter?
Have some fun with this. BY the way she is 26 if this makes a difference.

1. I would ask her if she had any thoughts about eloping.
2. I would offer her a ride to the court house and be by her side as she signs her life away.

I would offer them a honeymoon fishing trip next summer on the boat that i would definitely not be selling to finance her wedding :D

geez, what is wrong with today's kids? Can't they do anything on their own? Go and tell her to afford the lifestyle she CAN afford herself! I didn't have much money either when I signed my life away but I threw a wedding with a budget of ~ 3k and we had a blast! Doesn't always need to be expensive to be good. And I did not ask parents to pay for it. Sorry, but I have no understanding for kids who refuse to grow up and take on responsibility themselves. No wonder if they cannot deal with money and debts etc if they are used to parents bailing them out.

vegas flights are cheap 300 bucks per person the hole family could go for a grand. do not sell the boat the marriage could only last a year then your out big time ow come they can't do it them selves it's called saving money

geez, what is wrong with today's kids? Can't they do anything on their own? Go and tell her to afford the lifestyle she CAN afford herself! I didn't have much money either when I signed my life away but I threw a wedding with a budget of ~ 3k and we had a blast! Doesn't always need to be expensive to be good. And I did not ask parents to pay for it. Sorry, but I have no understanding for kids who refuse to grow up and take on responsibility themselves. No wonder if they cannot deal with money and debts etc if they are used to parents bailing them out.

X2!

No, I would not sell my boat (or anything else, for that matter) to pay for my 26 year old daughter's wedding. If you want to help financially then figure out what you can afford to give and tell her that's it.

You can always buy another boat.
Buttttttt........ is she a good kid who would appreciate the gesture or is she a brat.
That would be what my descion would be based off of.
Good luck Bill.

Tough one forsure.....lol But I think I would be a little concerned about the fact that not only did she expect you to cover the tab BUT she had a plan in the place as to how you could pay the bill??? I'm sure that you like most parents always want what's best for your kids and try and provide them with the best but asking you to sell the boat seems like a bit of a stretch to me? She may have had better luck with the wedding announcement only and allowed you to help as you saw fit no matter how large or small you decided was appropriate......IMO Definitely a sticky situation to say the least! Maybe an extra lotto ticket or two this week and maybe all your troubles will be taken care of? lol Good luck!

She was only joking she says but I did say no. I thought that it would be an interesting topic as there are a lot of fathers on here. She is a great kid (boyfriend is as well) and of course I would do my best to help out but not sell my boat! lol. I agree though that if they are living together than it should be their responsibility. I like the Vegas idea though as I can have some fun. And thanks CAPTKIRK, that is a great offer, lol. I wonder though what kinds of things we would sell our boats for if it was needed. I guess health issues would be at the top, that is how I got my new to me boat.
I also agree though that we as parents do tend to bail our kids out of jams way too much. As a teacher I see this way too often. Parents are constantly making up excuses for why their kids are struggling, they will not admit that their kid is just lazy!

It's one of the joys of having girls. Just pay for the wedding and enjoy it. That's what I did. It was one of the best days of my life. Then I took seven weeks off and went fishing and hunting. Looks like it's ready to happen again pretty soon with daughter number two.
Dave

Hey , my time will be coming soon with my own daughter. Do what you can afford. Tell her you can sell a kidney if it comes down to it.

If it is really important for her to marry this guy...then she can do it WITHOUT your $$$

50% of marraiges fail..and I have friends that paid for their daughters wedding for it to only last 8 months...you don't want to resent selling the boat.
Just a womans opinion.

Daughter's 13. So a few years off for me.
Had a few lucky years.
Univ. money is already in the bank.
Wedding money is already in the bank.

If she wants a more expensive wedding, better do some babysitting, dogwalking, or asking a lot of people if they want fries with that.

Daughter's 13. So a few years off for me.
Had a few lucky years.
Univ. money is already in the bank.
Wedding money is already in the bank.

If she wants a more expensive wedding, better do some babysitting, dogwalking, or asking a lot of people if they want fries with that.

Bingo. It's called planning ahead. You have about 20 years to get ready for these things.
Dave

Hi Merrittboy
I have a friend who's son just got married. Low buget, because thay have verry little money. They had a western theme. Got married in an old barn.They spent 3 weeks or sweat equity fixing up the inside. Guests sat on hay bales covered with blankets. I thought it was beautifully done with lots of thought and planning.
The biggest expense was the sound system.
Sometimes you have to think outside the box.
BS

I heard that sperm-banks pay upwards of $750 per shot if you pass the screening process. Hell, I should be a millionaire. I would resort to that before I'd ever sell my boat to pay for a wedding. I would do everything within reason that I could afford to help out, but after that it would be up to the bride and groom to find a way to pay for the rest. I'm lucky, I only have one son, but I'm sure the day will be coming.

As for the second question about what it would take to get me to sell, I'd say family or medical emergency, or major financial crisis. That would be about it. I'd rather give my boat to my kid and get another one.

I'm afraid I'm a traditionalist, which means the brides parents pay for the wedding. The bride, of course, does not determine the budget.

Back