Data to Back Up Cover Up of Salmon Virus (Part 1 of 2)

Whole in the Water

OK folks if this isn't a blaring call to action I don't know what is! :mad: We need to use our hard won democratic freedoms to protest and petition the DFO and Govt. to come clean on this issue!!!

If this virus continues to spread you might as well sell your boats and shut down your fishing dependant business cause this way of life may soon be gone!!! I say we need some peaceful protests to get some changes happending now!!!!
TIME FOR THE SLEEPING GIANT CALLED 'THE PEOPLE' TO WAKE UP, RISE UP AND MAKE SOME CHANGES!

http://www.superheroes4salmon.org/bl...a-cases-farmed

Fishyleaks’ today made public a secret Canadian Government report (believed to be from 2004) detailing 117 positive cases of Infectious Salmon Anaemia (ISA) in farmed Atlantic and wild Pacific salmon (sockeye, chinook and pink) from Southeast Alaska, the Bering Sea, Queen Charlotte Strait, the West Coast of Vancouver Island and Cultus Lake.

According to the report, ISA was successfully sequenced and 22% of the salmon (over 500 samples) tested positive for ISA. Over half of the positive tests were from the Fraser River – where 100% of the Cultus Lake sockeye tested positive for ISA (64 out of 64 samples). 10 out of 37 chinook caught ‘Inside East Alaska’ tested positive for ISA and 22 out of 40 chinook caught ‘Inside Vancouver Island (inlets)’ tested positive.

Read the report in full via ‘Fishyleaks’ - download online here
A map included in report details the sampling locations across the Pacific Ocean – in U.S. and Canadian waters:
Map%20from%20paper.jpg

Co-author of the report, Dr. Simon Jones of the Department of Fisheries & Oceans (DFO) Pacific Biological Station in Nanaimo, attempted to block the report’s release but another co-author, Dr. Fred Kibenge of the Atlantic Veterinary College at the University of Prince Edward Island, deemed it of current interest stating: “I think that this historical data may also clarify some of the issues around recent ISAV testing in BC.” The unpublished and undated report – “Asymptomatic Infectious Salmon Anaemia in juvenile Oncorhychus species from the North Pacific Ocean” - was made available last week (November 23) privately to participants in Canada’s judicial inquiry into the decline of Fraser River sockeye salmon (‘the Cohen Commission’) – in advance of a hearing on ISA on 15/16 December in Vancouver.
“Someone should be going to jail over this,” said John Werring of the David Suzuki Foundation reacting to the report [1]. “Never in my over 20 years of doing my work have I seen such duplicity by our government. The closest thing I can relate to is when whistle blowers in the US released documents showing that Tobacco companies knew their product harmed people. This document (2004 draft) shows our government has known for years that ISAV has been in the Pacific and they have done nothing except cover it up. Appalling!”

According to the Government report, ISA virus found in the infected fish was “94% to 98% homologous with Canadian ISAV isolates and 92% to 93% with European ISAV isolates.” ISA detected in chinook salmon “had an identity of 99.7% and 95.8% with ISAV isolates 810/9/99 from Norway and NBISA01 from New Brunswick, respectively”. The ISA-infected farmed Atlantic salmon “had 98% identity to most Canadian ISAV isolates” and “93% identical to European isolates”. The report concluded: “These results lead us to conclude that an asymptomatic form of ISA occurs among some species of wild Pacific salmon in the north Pacific.”

Table%201.jpg

NOTE: SEE PART 2 in a separate post for more information

Back