Dash Cams-What Is a Good Buy?

Ringo

Crew Member
Installed a Garmin mini on my truck less than a year ago but it decided to pack it in yesterday.

I’m shopping for a product that has good resolution and hopefully lasts longer than the previous one. Not interested in big brand names unless there’s a goos reason to spend more $$.

There are a lot of options on Amazon but I like to see what everyone’s experience is and what comes recommended by this board.
I’m looking for the front and rear cameras and ideally something that doesn’t require a big wiring project.

I have 2 Chortau dashcams purchased off amazon. they are in the $50-60 range and have both worked well. I have downloaded video from several incidents and the video is of good quality.

I have 2 Chortau dashcams purchased off amazon. they are in the $50-60 range and have both worked well. I have downloaded video from several incidents and the video is of good quality.
I have one of those and it sometimes says sd card full even though it’s set to copy over old videos. It also restarts sometimes when I hit a bump. Some Amazon reviews have the exact same symptoms so it must be somewhat common. I probably just got a junk one. I was thinking about trying a better known brand name but maybe not if the garmin crapped out that quick

I have one of those and it sometimes says sd card full even though it’s set to copy over old videos. It also restarts sometimes when I hit a bump. Some Amazon reviews have the exact same symptoms so it must be somewhat common. I probably just got a junk one. I was thinking about trying a better known brand name but maybe not if the garmin crapped out that quick
I found you have to turn off the impact sensor otherwise everytime you close the door it locks that video clip. in no time your sd card will be full of locked videos. if that happens you need to re-format the sd card or delete all saved videos. I figure if im in a crash i will probably have enough time to get the video before it overwrites so there is no need for the impact sensor to lock videos.

Back