Damaniel Creek Dam

profisher

Apparently after a small private dam blew out up north and resulted in some heavy cleanup costs pegged on the government, things are getting goofy. The government and or DFO are eliminating all possible liability for these dams by removing them. Damaniel Creek in Sooke has such a dam in place. A dam that for the past 20 years or so has provided a steady supply of water to summer flows downstream. As`a direct result of the dam the coho population in the creek has risen from about 500-600 fish annually prior to the dam, to a average of 4000 fish in recent times. The dam's control valve has already been removed and the dam is scheduled for removal this spring. So DFO is going to knowingly wipe out about 85% of the coho the river presently gets back each fall. Persons familiar with the river have little doubt that the river will once again shrink (dry) in summer to the extent that smolts will not survive. They estimate that by 3 complete cycles the river will once again be struggling to be a viable coho producing river. This needs to be stopped.

I though they had already done that(it came up in the local news quite a while ago).. and yes It will suck.

How do you propose we get about stopping it?

Maybe a bunch of people show up when they go to remove it and block them from doing it. Should result in province wide media showing up...have a real good spokesperson there to meet them when they show up to get the scoop.

Aye, Robbie Buns day pun intended

I think more research on my part is involved... but I am all for being a thorn in their side.

If you want to find out more about this, you should contact the responsible regional dam safety officer:

John.Baldwin@gov.bc.ca
Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
Nanaimo
250 751-3179

Ask him why it is removed and if the environmental consequences have been properly studied. A lot of concentrated pressure may still be able to stop it and find an alternative solution. But you have to be swift and in numbers.

Yep, I'm glad I pinch my barbs, and land owners get huge fines for breaking wind within the riparian area of a creek. DFO's mandate is sure working, in 5 years, we won't need DFO anymore as there won't be any "F" in our "O" to worry about.

Hopefully they can start managing the pine beetle, they will be gone too..

Back