Cylinder head gasket help requested - 1996 Johnson 90hp 2 stroke

Saxe Point

Sorry for the elementary questions, but I'm just learning. I'm trying to install a new cylinder head (spark plug threads stripped on the original) and I'm at the point where I need to put the gasket on. The gasket has some language on it indicating orientation: "top, arrow to exhaust cover". Below are the photos which demonstrate what I believe to be the correct orientation . In other words the top is at the top and the arrow is towards the left, because the exhaust holes in the cylinders are to the left. Have I got this right? Again, sorry for the basic questions. I just can't afford to make a mistake here and blow up this motor.

One other question, do I have to do anything with the cylinder head bolts? Should I put grease on them, anti-seize compound etc. or just screw them in the way they are.

Thanks in advance!

ujetysan.jpg
a4uzy2ep.jpg
y8e9aduq.jpg
batuzy6u.jpg

Looks right to me. Make sure you use a flat bar with a made for metal sand paper to make sure the surfaces of the block and head are level and clean. I use a piece of flat steel about 1/4 thick and 3 inches across and the length of a sheet of paper.

don't grease the bolts just make sure they are very clean and use some blue lock tite sparingly. Sounds like you are pretty to dialed in to tackle this project. good luck

beemer

don't grease the bolts just make sure they are very clean and use some blue lock tite sparingly. Sounds like you are pretty to dialed in to tackle this project. good luck

beemer

What happened is that one of the spark plug holes threads got stripped. I could have installed a "Helicoil" (new threads basically) to fix it, but that would require taking the cylinder head off any event. And the Helicoil kit costs about $80 anyway. So I just bought a used cylinder head for about the same price. This way I have a spare cylinder head as they aren't making them anymore for my motor. I've got the factory manual and the SELOC repair book, so I'm trying to be careful and do this right. Thanks for the help.

If that's the right side/bank of the Engine then you got it. Looking at the pistons, it is. Make sure the surfaces are clean, no sealer needed. Also apply a thin coat of antisieze to the plugs and again torque to spec.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
I would use a thin coat of marine grade (silver) anti seize as well. Head bolts are subject to salt penetration and heat. I've seen even the local dealer techs break head bolts taking them out because they were seized and they put to much strain on them before resorting to a torch to heat them up first. I would just check a few head bolts at the end of each season with a torque wrench to ensure they are still within spec.

Hey sax, no grease, nothing on those head bolts. Brush the head gasket with gasket sealant (the kind that comes with a built in bush) before installing. Torque the head bolts in the sequence indicated on the head. Re-torq after 20 hours use.

Seloc suck. Go online and find the right manual. There will be a torquing sequence surely and anti seize I would say would be called for. Putting anything on the gasket might not be called for have seen it both ways. Gasket orientation would also be in said manual if not ask a dealer.

The only parts I would not use an anti seize are internal engine bolts like crank, rods etc. just make sure you don't use the copper based stuff, look for the silver. You have some here saying use it and some say not....do a google search and you should find that most advice is to use it on any bolts where saltwater contact will occur. Not only saltwater but when it is a stainless bolt screwed into anything aluminum...add in saltwater and you have electrolysis which will hasten the process leading to a seized bolt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a follow up to close this off. Head got put on and I replaced some spark plug wires that were corroded. Motor starts and runs better than ever! Thanks again for your help.

Back