Cut polishing

dmurph

Hey guys I have the boat in the yard cleaning it up for the season. The hull is pretty oxidized and salt stained dull. I have cut it with a foam cutting pad and 3m and got it to shine pretty good can see my reflection no problem. Can also still see salt spots when you look real close. Is this as good as it gets without wet sanding?

Hey guys I have the boat in the yard cleaning it up for the season. The hull is pretty oxidized and salt stained dull. I have cut it with a foam cutting pad and 3m and got it to shine pretty good can see my reflection no problem. Can also still see salt spots when you look real close. Is this as good as it gets without wet sanding?
nope it can get better ...... personally I like to use wool pad for cutting and foam for polish and wax.... you will need to try a more abrasive cut... just make sure your using a variable speed buffer so you can control the speed and not burn your gelcoat:p

nope it can get better ...... personally I like to use wool pad for cutting and foam for polish and wax.... you will need to try a more abrasive cut... just make sure your using a variable speed buffer so you can control the speed and not burn your gelcoat:p
Absolutely wool pads for sure

Yep. According to the 3M guy at the Ocean Pacific sale last weekend, wool pad for cut and foam for polish.

Used the wool pad for half the boat. The dense foam pad I have is specifically for cutting. I'll try to post some photos today of the hull. Using a mikita variable speed set mostly around 2

Try a coarser abrasive cut with more grit in it....you can get to the point where you are basically wet sanding with a cut.

It's a 3m for badly oxidized boats it says, but I suspect you guys a right, doesn't seem so gritty.

Top photo is cut not waxed pretty shined up bit can still see water marks. Bottom photo zero reflection and very dry to the touch

When I did my boat 4 years ago I used 3m blue bottle. It was not that bad. I used Terri cloth on foam. Then Maguire boat wax on wool to make it shine and seal.

Back