Current speed at Sooke

mokeyw

I am hoping to try Halibut fishing off Sooke this year. The chart I have only gives the current speed for Race rocks and Quan de fuca East and west. How do I know what the current speed is at Sooke. Which chart to use?

currents at sooke

Non of these sites help for Sooke. Canadian power squadron has nothing for tides or currents. All they have is courses to sell you.

depending on where around sooke you're fishing you want to use JDF east or west - usually east is closer, race rocks station will only apply to race rocks.

currents

Power squadron website is useless info! I already have a license! I don't see a course that says what current chart to use where!

Don't you need something else to go with the Murrays table or does it work by itself. I heard that you need some atlas to work with it and they no longer publish the atlas!

You need the Murray's table map charts book and the 2013 murray table calendar. You then looked at the dates on the calendar which reflects the pages you refer to for every hour;s tide flow in the map chart book, which then shows the tide flow direction and speed.

Go to a fishing store (Wise Buys, Trotac, island outfitters,,,,) and buy the book and they will provide guidance on how to use the book.

pick a reporting station, i have several on my smart phone. then go observe what is going on. with a couple of days of observation, you should be able to approximate H/L pretty closely. this will also be the case for current, low slack, high slack. keep in mind that anything published, on paper or via the internet, are 'forecasts' and will in fact vary from reality.

i use a station just NE of Ediz hook for my purposes. i have no idea how that will relate to your home waters. the simple point is, pick a reporting station then compare those forecasts to what you observe. the Ediz hook station is short about 20 minutes. that was easy enough to deterimine via observation. i use an app called 'tides and currents'. this has a zillion reporting stations to choose from for both tides and currents.

Power squadron website is useless info! I already have a license! I don't see a course that says what current chart to use where!

I disagree. The CPS website is NOT useless info... I wasn't referring to a license as you suggest, I was referring to courses; courses that help people with interpreting tide and current info (the key work being interpret). Obviously they don't tell anybody what current chart to use where, but what they do teach, is how to use the info.

Don't you need something else to go with the Murrays table or does it work by itself. I heard that you need some atlas to work with it and they no longer publish the atlas!

You are correct; there is more that is needed (several others have stated the same). Alternately, I made a post last year for an electronic version (it works just fine). http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...-Murray-Tables&p=220464&viewfull=1#post220464. Others repeat using this info from Dive BC.

Finally, besides CPS, I offered a site to use nearby tidal stations (again, several others have stated the same for you).

F D

Back