Curing/preparing Salmon roe

nitnat_junkie

anyone help me out here, want to cure some of the roe from the summer, just took it out of the freezer, what to use? what works best?, and whats the quickest way, any help would be great , thanks

Hey Junkie. You can get a product called pro-cure from Wally world or Can Tire. It is pretty easy to do but a little messy. Not sure if you are planning on tying sacs or using individual eggs. I find that it is best to thaw eggs slowly in the fridge as opposed to on the counter. The eggs tend to hold their fluids a bit better. Hope that helps.

Hey Junkie. You can get a product called pro-cure from Wally world or Can Tire. It is pretty easy to do but a little messy. Not sure if you are planning on tying sacs or using individual eggs. I find that it is best to thaw eggs slowly in the fridge as opposed to on the counter. The eggs tend to hold their fluids a bit better. Hope that helps.

Borax is all you need, keep it simple. Fill the bottom of a med. sized ziplock with about an inch of borax. Cut your skein of roe into desired sizes(pennie,nickle,quarter size), place about a dozen pieces into the bag. Close bag and flip it and rotate it until chunks are coated. Put in another layer of borax and do it again.Don't worry, you can't use to much.

Borax is all you need, keep it simple. Fill the bottom of a med. sized ziplock with about an inch of borax. Cut your skein of roe into desired sizes(pennie,nickle,quarter size), place about a dozen pieces into the bag. Close bag and flip it and rotate it until chunks are coated. Put in another layer of borax and do it again.Don't worry, you can't use to much.

That reminds me its almost time for the annual 08 egg collection, goldstream fn, nitinat fn and the boys at Robby should do the trick:D

Pass the Pack

That reminds me its almost time for the annual 08 egg collection, goldstream fn, nitinat fn and the boys at Robby should do the trick:D

Pass the Pack

I use two types of pro-cure to get a hot pink colour. By blending the steelhead orange with the fire red you will get a colour similar to the BC Orange gooey bobs. So I start my process with cutting up the roe into bait sized chunks. Then place into a bucket and sprinkle your pro-cure mix and roll around for 30 minutes until the cure is thoroughly embedded into the roe. The trick is not to put too much pro-cure on this stage. Then lay them out on paper towel to dry the chunks out as much as you can by either air drying for 2 hours or patting them dry. Once they are dry, then sprinkle the mix of pro-cure and borax onto each chunk and roll around until there is no liquid. Then vacuum pack into bags with enough for each day of fishing. Vacuum packing preserves well beyond the usual 1 winter life time you will get if you simply place the roe into regular zip lock bags. This may be more time consuming than simply using borax, but the result is way better, and your roe lasts longer.

Back