Cruiser/Fisher Combo

On the subject of tow vechicals. I tow the c-dory with my ford ranger 4x4 with v-6. I Have gone up to a f-350 but that has to do more with miles 250,000 of the ranger and the f-350 was free. a f150 is more then enough to tow a 22 c-dory and a 150 will tow a 25 c-dory but your better off with a f250 and up. I have one freind that tows his 25fter with a vw. its that turbo disel 4x4 they just can up with.

I'd have to disagree on the post comparing Arima and C-Dory. Arima has a 19' with a hardtop and roomy cuddy, they plane at very low speeds, and require low horsepower. I don't own one, but was considering them last year, and did some research.

c-dory has a 16 and a 19 that require a smaller engine and when I say cabin I dont mean the v-berth, I mean the rain dont fall on you and there is heat. Arima does not have a enclosed hard top with back wall and door until you get to there biggest model. you can get drop down curtians but they just dont hold the heat for over nighting. the arima is a better fishing boat. nice big bait prep above the motor well and fish boxes, but the question was a cruising and fishing boat and the arimas just does not get it as a cruiser. my freind sark has owned a arima 17 and now a 22 cory. He rally loves the dory.

Ok, I'm confused. I'm still considering various options for a new fishing boat. I like the Arima, and like the look of the C-Dory, but don't know much about them. I've been on both manufacturer's websites...the Arima 19' hardtop comes with an optional Alaskan Bulkhead, but nowhere on the C-Dory site do they mention this option. The 19' C-Dory hardtop has an optional drop curtain (standard on Arima). Both boats require similar power. Both claim to stay afloat completely swamped. A friend of mine had a 16' C-Dory, and found it very tippy while fishing with people walking around the cockpit. One of the main claims of the Arima design, is the stability while fishing.

Back to the topic of this thread...the same friend sold his C-Dory and purchased a 24' (I think) Campion walk-around that he uses for fishing, watersports, and weekend trips with his wife. With a 200 hp Yamaha, it has a top speed of ~45 mph. The only thing I don't like about it is the low gunnel height due to the self bailing deck.
Nice boat.

If you can handle the extra cost take a hard look at an aluminum boat, lots of manufacturers on Van Island. The odd used one come up in the buy & sell. Do a search for more aluminum boat info on this site.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Still not sure what I'll end up getting, but the answers gave me a lot to consider.

- Paul

Alot of what Starcrafttom has said in this thread about arimas is untrue. I would do your own research and go to a boat show where you can look at them side by side and decide for yourself. We have a 19ft Arima soft top and love it (it is also available in a hardtop with an alaskan bulkhead). If you can I would go with a 21ft arima. Those are sweet. As for the comment that Arimas seem small for the footage, we found that they had more room than many comprable and much more expensive walk-arounds like Seaswirl Stripers. We also looked at C-dories and found that they ride alot rougher in big water and since we do alot of fishing off the Oregon coast we decided a boat with a deeper V would be better.

Just my .02

GRIFF

copy of email sent to giff. He got me on the bulk head but not the rest. I just thing that the arima is not a cruising boat and thats what was asked for

griff

Well I will admit that I got the bulkhead part wrong but I was going off of info from the rep at the Seattle boat show three years a go. I was told that I could not get one until the 22.

As for the motors. arimas web site states that they require a 110 to 300 hp. Well the max for the 22 c-dory is only 115. 100 when I got my boat.

I have been in a arima v-berth. you must roll up in to a ball or they have changed. There is a lot more room in the c-dory v-berth.

As for the speed thing. Is not what you think. in big rollers the arima will not plane as slow as a c-dory and going slower and still being on plane is a great thing. I did not believe it when I first heard it but after 600 hours its true. I have had my dory 10 miles out side uclulet in 6 ft seas. they have been 25 miles out side coos bay for tuna. going faster and having a v is not always a good thing. in fact it sucks in big rollers. Until you have gone out on a boat that will plan at slow speeds and not launch off a swell you will not know what you are missing. as for the ride its not as good as a deep v, 11degrees is not deep, but not any worse then a armia I think, let you know after you take me fishing. C-dory is a 5 degree v since 85 I believe not 0.

Now for the "day boat" thing . We , me ,son, wife . Have sent 6 days on the boat. that's on the hook eating and sleeping and fishing right on the boat . the kid is 16 and 180, 6"1'. I have not seen a arima do that. the table in there dinette is a joke, the storage space is a joke. Wish to god I had the fish boxes. The whole thing comes down to what a person thinks about a boat. a arima ,even the 22 is a great day fishing boat that you may spend a few days fishing out of. a c-dory is a great cruising boat the you can fish out of. I have friends , go to the c-dory site C-BRATS, that have spent 8 months living on their boats while going to Alaska and back, virgin islands and back, the grand loop, etc.. The guy was asking for a cruising boat.

Back