Cruiser/Fisher Combo

P

Pablo2079

I'm trying to come up with a good "combo" boat for the family and for fishing.

What are some good boat candidates that combine cruising/fishing and maybe even some inner tubing/skiing? Leaning towards the fishing... in the 21 to 24 foot, trailerable territory. I realize that this would be a comprimise boat that would probably not be "great" in any one category. I'm looking used and I haven't decided how much I can spend yet.

Thanks for your thoughts on this....

Hi Pablo, I think maybe you've left it so wide open that
nobody can respond...
you may want to narrow your search down to a particular
style of hull, motor preference, and most important
an approximate budget.
just my opinion ...

Good luck

Yeah... I agree.

I was thinking up to $20k US... would be buying in the states (probably Washington). I have been looking at everything from Bayliner Classics to Grady Whites. My wife would definitely want a nice cabin with some decent facilities. A place to get out of the weather, a small galley etc....

Forget buying in Washington, the prices aren't much cheaper then here. Either look to California or the east coast and you'll save up to 50%.

hey Pablo I have a campion allente 1992 20 ft , 4.3 liter inboard with swim grid .The 9.9 yamaha tiler , is mounted on the swim grid and I wired it with a fork lift plug for easy removal , also i put a big cooler on there when fishing and the fish don't even come in the boat .When i bought it the old owner had nice alium plates mounted for downriggers they work great.The V6 has a very small dog house so lots of room to move .When I am on the lake ( no kicker ) it is great for skiing /tubeing . I did the prop demo thing and found the perfect prop for this use and does well curiseing too .It even pulls me out of the water on a salom ski ( I am 200 # ).good luck in your search .

Pablo....you do kind of leave it wide open.

Are you wanting something to overnight on when you refer to cruising? When you start looking at something for more than 2 people with a galley you are going to want to make sure you have something strong to pull it with. To have all the amenities you want and you refer to the "family" I would assume you have kids? If you are overnighting ON the boat you are likely going to be looking closer to 24' IMHO if you don't want to be ridiculously cramped.

One thing you will find about the Grady's from what I have seen in that size range is that they don't have much seating that would be good for a family.

I too am looking for a boat in the US and as mentioned....go further away than Washington state. California the east coast and Florida represent much greater savings even when you factor in trucking it up here.

Lots of questions to ask to help you narrow down your search. Do you have much boating experience on the ocean???

Pablo, I think what's more in line for you because of family is to look at somthing in the line of SeaSport and C-Dory. Go with outboards to give you the max room inside. Don't forget a good quaity diesel heater for inside the cabin for the cooler days. This way the family can enjoy the cold days out when you're fishing.

I have a 22 ft c-dory that I bought new in 2005. as of today I have 675 hours on the honda 90. I have not been out 5 days this winter so far. So as you see I put some miles on the water. In the last three years we have been on a few trips. we live aboard when cruising and I only cruise to go fishing in differant places. We have spent 10 days in desolation sound. 10 days last year in uclulet fishing off shore and in the islands. I have ran from Poets cove resort to chatterbox falls in one day (really good weather). add in un-told weekend cruises in the san jauns and big C and you get a idea of the many differet type of water this boat will perform in. A c-dory is a great camping and fishing boat. It does both things fairly well. the 22 is great for two people who are use to camping. Think of it as a vw camper van on water. If you really have to have a stand up head and shower with hot water the you can get the c-dory 25. You are going to get there but not as fast as the next guy. You do get to laugh at him openly at the gas dock thu. I burn 4 gallons a hour at most running 20 miles per hour on the average sea. With 2 20 gallon tanks I have a range of about 140 miles. the newer c-dorys have 2 25 gallon tanks. I can plane at only 13 miles per hour and some times all the way down to 10. This is great in a big long swell. I try nver to fish more then 3 people out of the boat and 2 is much better. The c-dory tracks well and is great to fish from and your feet are lower then water level when in the boat. the c-dory has no second hull so you are standing on the bottom of the boat. I have a stove top/heater that cooks well and heats the boat just fine. We have spent three weekend in the san juans getting snowed on and never been cold at night. I have a sink and 20 gallons of water. All and all its a great boat for a traviling soul. The c-brat are a on line club of c-dory fanatics that will tell you everything you every wanted to know about these boats. There are lots of photos of the modifactions the owners have done to these boats to even make them better. Also the travling adventures of some of us. many poeple take there c-dory from seattle to alaska on water every summer. One couple has 24,000 mile on their boat. they have done the alaska thing many times , the great loop three times, and count less other cruise's. many of the californa owners run to catalaina one weekend then trailer to lake powell the next weekend. A freind in oreagon tuna fishes 40 miles off the coast in the summer. Its not the boat for the run and gun club. and its not of the martini drinking show boat list either, but for some one like me its a great all around boat that will go every where i need it too. stores on the trailer at my house, good on gas and a proven fish getter. but hey thats just my humble opioin.

Pablo2079

We have a 2452 Bayliner Classic, and we love it. It's a great fishing platform (for two or three), it cruises well, with lots of interior space (including a stand up head) and large bright windows, and it's trailerable. I haven't tried it yet, but it would make a good wakeboard/tube tow, with a large wake at slower speeds. The hole shot's too sluggish and the top end too low for any serious skiing, but kids would have fun if they could hang on long enough to get up...

Pippen - I would like to have the option to overnight in the boat, but most of its use would be day trips. As for the "family", I have one kid but I assume he'll want to bring a friend sometimes.

You mention I should have something "strong" to pull the boat with.... I have a Dodge pickup with a 5.2 liter V8. When you say "strong", do you mean diesel F350 strong?

I have no experience on the ocean. This would be my first step into something of decent size (as an owner). As I've said in previous threads, I have been fishing the strait since I was 5 but in boats 12 feet in length or less. I can't believe it now, but my parents would let me go fishing ALONE on the strait starting when I was 6 in a row boat. I would be out of sight for HOURS. Bizarre, but I digress. This would be a BIG step up for me. I do have some interest in heading offshore, but I figure I should go ahead and charter a couple times to see if I like it.

Lots of options. This discussion is helping me track down what I really want. The boat shows are pretty much sensory overload and I just end up with a bag of pamphlets and assorted giveaways.

- Paul

Frayed - The Campions are really nice boats. I've looked at a few over the years. I'm not sure what you mean by a "fork lift plug" on your kicker though. Can you elaborate?

Hiroshi - The Seasports are nice too. Aren't those made in Bellingham? Or am I thinking of another boat?

StCrTom - Did you used to have a "starcraft" and then changed to a c-dory? I've always thought of C-dorys as being a little odd looking. Sounds like they really perform though. Would you put them in the same class as Arima? Arima's seem like solid boats, but REALLY pricey for the size. With the C-Dorys being so frugal with fuel, I should seriously consider one. I assume fuel prices will stay high and keep going higher. I've always wanted to be able to cruise up the inside passage to Rupert (fishing all the way).... but again, it's one of those things that I've just thought about for years.

IPC - I've always liked the looks of the Bayliner Classic. They seem really functional, but I've read so many "bad" reviews of Bayliner in general that it seems like it's the manufacturer to keep one's distance from. Reading the specs though, you get a lot of bang for your buck. What's the construction quality like?

Pablo,
Don't be put off by the Bayliner bashing. It's more of a tradition than a fact. My current boat, a Bayliner 242 Classic Cruiser, replaced my Trophy 2052 (another Bayliner product) and there is no reason IMHO for avoiding these boats. Bayliners are sort of like the Chevys of the boat world. If you really want a Cadillac or a Mercedes don't get a Bayliner. But if you want a functional boat that will serve well functionally at an affordable price then give them a look. (Do you believe you'll get more reliable miles out of a Cadillac than a Chevy?) For more perspective try visiting the forum at the Bayliners Owners Club. http://pub12.ezboard.com/bbocweb

quote:Originally posted by gpspowell

Pablo,
Don't be put off by the Bayliner bashing. It's more of a tradition than a fact. My current boat, a Bayliner 242 Classic Cruiser, replaced my Trophy 2052 (another Bayliner product) and there is no reason IMHO for avoiding these boats. Bayliners are sort of like the Chevys of the boat world. If you really want a Cadillac or a Mercedes don't get a Bayliner. But if you want a functional boat that will serve well functionally at an affordable price then give them a look. (Do you believe you'll get more reliable miles out of a Cadillac than a Chevy?) For more perspective try visiting the forum at the Bayliners Owners Club. http://pub12.ezboard.com/bbocweb

gps.......I will just poke a bit of fun. In the waters of the Pacific Northwest, I for one would be fine cruising in a Bayliner, but with the amount of crap you can come across in the water I would rather have something with a bit more sturdy of a hull. With your reference to cars.........you could also tell Pablo (Paul); if your okay driving a Ford Pinto and not concerned with being hit from behind then by all means drive one.;) If you want to avert a possible issue........then don't. Now I am not a huge Bayliner basher, but I will tell you this I would not invest my money in one as I think for the $$$ you can do better.

As to your reference of a site to visit etc........let's keep an open mind to Paul here; your boat(s) that you have owned are all made by the same mass manufacturer and the site you told him to visit is obviously going to be somewhat biased.

Paul.....your truck should be fine, but take a look at the weight of the boats you are looking at. Due to construction of boats and other factors you can see quite a variance in the weight of a boat.

As a side note.....if you are relatively inexperienced on the ocean, I would HIGHLY advise taking the power squadron course. Some parts of it are a bit hokey, but all in all a highly recommended course.

This link should help you track down one in your area.
http://powersquadron.ca/

Whatever boat you decide to purchase if you are inexperienced in what to look for, get it surveyed not matter what. Also ask questions and play out all sorts of scenarios in your head. Once you make the purchase you may find small things that you wouldn't normally notice will tick you off. For example....if you look at Sea Ray's; nice boats but if you ever want to walk up front they have NO 'deck' whatsoever around the side. Hence if you have to tie up fenders or secure a bow line you had better step gingerly. Not sure if that makes sense at all but it is just one of those little things.

Lots of good points already addressed and ask plenty of questions.

I would put c-dory is a much higher class then the arima. Arima are fine day fishng boats but you said you wanted to cruise. Also arimas general need a lot more hp then a c-dory for the same size boat anad the same sixe c-dory has a lot more room. arimas dont have enclosed cabin until you get top the 24 fter. And that was a after though to meet buying pressure. With more hp comes more gas, yes you get faster speed but a arima has a flat bottom like a c-dory so more speed is not a good thing. They also do not plane at as slow of speeds as a c-dory. bigger motors weight more and throw off the balance. They are not ment to plane slowly. A arima is a great small trailable day fishing boat and thats it. oh they have a-verth but no one bigger then a elf has even slept in one. The v-berth in hte c-dory is suprisanlly large. Iam 6 ft and 220 the wife is 5'6" and I am not allow to say. We both have lots of room to sleep. You do have to crawl in and out but its really simple.

quote:As to your reference of a site to visit etc........let's keep an open mind to Paul here; your boat(s) that you have owned are all made by the same mass manufacturer and the site you told him to visit is obviously going to be somewhat biased.

Yep. Except for the "all made by". I've been boating for 46 years and have had more than the two most recent. Never the less; Pablo, if you're afraid of "made by the same mass manufacturer" brands. Here's a list of brands owned by Brunswick Corp. for you to avoid (while keeping an open mind):

Baja; Bayliner; Boston Whaler; Crestliner; Hatteras Yachts; Lowe; Lund; Maxum; Meridian yachts; Palmetto; Princecraft; Sea Boss; Sea Pro; Sea Ray.

p.s I have had 2 starcrafts before gettinga c-dory. the starcraft islander is another boat you may want to look at. more on the lines of the bayliner 2452 then a c-dory. I also really like,shhh dont tell anyone, is the bayline 2858. two berths and a fold down table.

gpspowell hit it on the mark with his list of boats "to stay away from". All those boats are built by the same corporation, using essentially the same basic materials and power packages. The main difference in price comes from using fancier materials in the interior and exterior finishing, and more options. Bayliners are good value for your money, leaving more funds available for fuel (not an insignificant point).

Having said that, a 2452 is probably too heavy for a 5.2 to tow. I had a GMC with a 5.7, and it didn't quite cut it - it was OK on flat stuff, but hills were too much of a challenge, and I wanted to be able to go anywhere. Now I tow with a 6.6 Duramax diesel, and it doesn't even slow it down.

Paul

hi pablo the plug i am refering to is a big two prong plug made for high amp,for a quick disconect of pos.&neg wires ( it handles reg . battery cable ).Also my Campion has a cutty cabin good for two adults , and a head but it is somewhere for the kids to hide while i am fishing . ( I have twin 6 year olds ). good luck in your hunt.[8D]

Talking about boat manufacters, I've been looking at Seaswirls, what does everyone think of them? Good / poor construction? Maybe 18'-22' for length. Walk around models with Cuddys. Any input is much appreciated. Anyone have one? How do you like it? Any poor experiences with them? Hah, I might as well admit it, I bought one, so let's hear all about it! (What am I in for?) :)

Back