Crossing Georgia strait in small boat

I like the rod holders on that boat-solid, secure & out of the way.
when I'm out we keep the nets there easy grab, i installed the canopy so i can collapse it towards the helm, gives us more room to play the rod, i got tired of trying to find an Arima at a reasonable price and reworked this mid 80s bayliner cuddy, i don't have a live well, but the cuddy is quite big so we keep a big cooler. She is perfectly suited to run up to sandheads or run over to Bowen, occasionally cross and gets about 30 miles to a six gallon tank, decent for a 2 stroke, the 90 hp get me over 35 knts if i need to, cruises at 25kts at 4000 rmp, with gas prices i can still afford to take her out twice a month

why did they ever stop that anyway?
They still do the race just a different route. I think the thought was.. it's a Nanaimo event.. but the finish was in Vancouver, so they changed the course to go around the winchelsea islands then finish in Departure Bay.

They still do the race just a different route. I think the thought was.. it's a Nanaimo event.. but the finish was in Vancouver, so they changed the course to go around the winchelsea islands then finish in Departure Bay.
never hear about it anymore.

I am not sure but wasn't there some problem in Vancouver with it?

Sure could use it now, it would be a huge attraction again.

It was an awesome day. I think the local fun police were offended by it. Pretty typical around here. #bringbackindycars

It was pretty dangerous when only four or five of the tubs were making it across in small craft warning and above seas. It also took the coordination of two events, the Nanaimo bathtub race and the Vancouver SeaFest.

The drag boat club I used to belong to did an exhibition race in front of Kits Beach in 1985, and then the bathtub race had the finish line in the same area the next day.

It was THE event of the year in the 70/80’s. I remember moving back her in 05 thinking where’s the bathtub race. Why would you stop such an awesome event. It probably wasn’t inclusive enough for some people. Politics got involved for sure. Can you imagine Kennedy Stewart at Kits waving a Jolly Roger. Not.

OK I lived just up the hill from the beach the year they said 'enough is enough' and I remember it well.

During the presentation of prizes some crybaby australian got upon stage and started yelling/ bitching/literally pushing people around maybe he was drunk I don't know he did finish but there's no prize for that.

But that ended the whole thing on the Vancouver side the organisers realised they didn't want to have anything to do with people who acted that way at a family event so Nanaimo got to claim it all for themselves (!)

There was a lot of talk about 'safety' but that nasty drunk was the last straw and of course Nanaimo wanted nothing to do with him either he was never heard from again.

Looks like Randy Mac is hoping they’ll be bringing the race back?

Attachments

• A9DFF97D-395F-403F-B500-2112D4776CC1.png
    A9DFF97D-395F-403F-B500-2112D4776CC1.png
    626.1 KB · Views: 71
Never felt comfortable to cross in my old boat (18’ Larson cuddy) even though it would have been fine on a calm day. Got stranded in the middle with the old man when I was 10, winds picked up. That’ll give you a healthy respect for the ocean at a young age! Feel fine now in a 21’ Trophy but still wouldn’t try in over 15kn.
Those bathtub guys are insane!

Events like bathtub racing are a ton of work, running the non-profit and pulling it off requires thousands of hours of volunteer time. I’ve been there and done that and threw out the t-shirt. I’d rather support a real business or a real charity, with staff who get paid and contribute to the community 12 months a year. Hats off to volunteers, but what a lot of work! nimby’s are everywhere

Back