CRD Board Meeting

porcupine

CRD Board Meeting
Just received this from Island Outfitters and thought that I would repost it here.

Dear fellow angler,

My friend Mike Hicks will be trying to pass a resolution at the next CRD Board Meeting on behalf of all recreational fishers on Southern Vancouver Island. He will be trying to persuade his fellow Mayors to send a strong message to the Minister of Fisheries which basically demands that the Federal Government purchase or lease enough quota from the commercial fishers to establish a permanent base limit of 1 halibut per day , 2 possession, 11 months of the year.
Although we all want to get back to 2 halibut per day and 3 possession, Mike's resolution would be a good guaranteed base from which we could survive during years of low abundance. If Mike is successful in getting the CRD to endorse the resolution, he will then take this to the Association of Vancouver Island Coastal Communities held in Sidney this March and if successful will present to all the town of British Columbia at UBCM in Victoria this fall.
We can help Mike in two ways:

# 1 - Physically show up at the CRD Board Meeting to show our support for Mike and show our Mayors
that it is a major issue for residents of the South Island. Wednesday Feb. 16, 1:30
The meeting is on the 6th floor of the CRD Building - 625 Fisgard Street, downtown Victoria, There is a
parking lot adjacent to the building. We should arrive at 1:00, sign - in at front desk and take our seats on the
6th floor gallery. If we managed to get 100 anglers, we would have an army. If we get 300 , we will set a
record and I hope make all the major news.

#2 E-mail your mayor and ask them to support Mike Hicks on his resolution. You could simply copy the following
and paste to an e-mail to the Mayors or their representative listed below. Here is the text:

Dear Mr/Ms. ( names listed below)

I am writing in the hope that you will support Mike Hicks and his resolution to ask the federal government
to purchase or lease enough halibut quota from the commercial fishers to establish a base limit of 1 halibut
per day , 2 possession , 11 months a year. Halibut fishing is so important to my life and I ask you to use
your influence as a Board member to help us secure this basic limit for now and future generations of
South island residents.

Sincerely,

Name
City ( Victoria, Sooke, Langford etc)

Alice Finall North Saanich afinall@northsaanich.ca
Barb Desjardns Esquimalt barb.desjardins@esquimalt.ca
Christopher Causton Oak Bay mayor@oakbay.ca
David Saunders Colwood
mayor@colwood.ca
Dean Fortin
Victoria
mayor@victoria.ca
Denis Blackwell
Langford
denise.blackwell@shaw.ca
Frank Leonard
Saanich
mayor@saanich.ca
Garth Hendrun
Saltspring
ghendren@telus.net
Graham Hill
View Royal
grah@shaw.ca
Jack Mar
Central Saanich
jack.mar@csaanich.ca
John Ranns
Metchosin
jranns@shaw.ca
Larry Cross
Sidney
lcross@sidney.ca

Feel free to write your own e-mail but please take a moment and e-mail your representative listed above. Hugely Important.
Folks this is it. We have a chance to unify our resolve and stand together as one voice from Southern Vancouver Island. We have a chance to educate our Mayors and get them involved in our fight and we have a chance to influence the Minister of Fisheries to provide a basic guaranteed limit no matter what the abundance of stocks.
Please e-mail your letter, send this off to fellow anglers and see you at the CRD on Wednesday Feb. 16.

Thanks
Darren Wright
Island Outfitters

excellent post, it doesn't get much easier then copying a form letter and picking your local representative to email - there's no excuse not to send an email when you lay it all out like this.

Done.
Its just to Easy Thanks

I will try to be there.

Mr. Leonard (Saanich) acknowledged receipt of my email and will look into this. Whatever that means.

Back