Crank baits instead of plugs

Mike_W

With all the new thin spoons to imitate needle fish I got thinking why do we see the majority of plugs used are really not that realistic looking. Why don't we use realistic imitations like a husky jerk or other large baitfish imitation crankbaits? I have even considered this when fishing anchovies.

Depending on the day I sometimes run a "top water" rod with a hootchie or spoon for active coho which often results in some spectacular airborne action and the odd spring however running a crank bait that will dive to 15ft would also be neat.

So why is it we never see crankbaits has anyone ever tried them?

Next time I get out I might have to tow a crank bait and a five of diamonds just to say I did!

I've towed the odd crank bait. Generally seems to work for coho near the surface but haven't had a single mature spring. I should mention that I my collection of crank baits aren't really the ideal colors for springs and the price of crank baits vs. Some of the proven lures keeps me from trying it seriously.

I should also mention that I've trolled crank bait right on the surface and off the downriggers behind flashers and just off the clip with no flasher.

Only really ever had fish only the surface

I should also mention that I've trolled crank bait right on the surface and off the downriggers behind flashers and just off the clip with no flasher.

Only really ever had fish only the surface
I have tried many types and sizes of of magnum Rapala's. I did really well for lings near the bottom with the really big ones-Ok close to the surface for coho. I experiment all the time and I am always surprised when an unexpected lure works well. Trouble is my fishing time off-shore is limited(especially this year) and I tend to stick to proven lures or techniques or variations of them to maximise "fish-on "time. You can catch fish on just about anything given the time and inclination-doesn't mean you should though!! LOL

We've run many various types and finishes of crank baits etc off the troller. We did this over many varying conditions and over a wide range of years - ALWAYS looking for something to kick it up a notch. Some I would have sworn they should have out-performed standard type plugs for springs. None ever did, and the results were spotty at best.

Have tagged a few coho on top with them, and the odd ling / halibut down below. But again, there are better performers IMHO.

Don't really understand why - they look good to me. Just apparently not so much to the fish...

Cheers,
Nog

Articulated crankbaits work well for Coho but so does everything else.

There's an articulated lure sold by a store in Ladner that is supposed to be murder on Spring Salmon I'll make a
call tomorrow to get the name it's not easy to find even on the net (and not cheap).

The only articulated lure I've had success with on springs and coho is Lucky Bug's "Zombie Maxx":

ZM-Single-Hook-set-up.jpg

Enjoyed some Very Good success with this one out there last season.

Cheers,
Nog

iv tagged the odd smaller spring on the rapala bx minnow when there taking smaller bait, but i dont think crank baits work well cause of the fast wobble and dive lip personally. the bx has a tinny lip and slower wobble.
the X-rap saltwater is good looking though, could be worth a try

we have tagged a lot of large springs and the odd tyee on our anchovy imitation, was just as effective as bait with a little super gel rubbed on and way less hassle then re-baiting all the time. we use a new soft high strength banding with a +10% body gap and when u throw them behind a flasher they get a nice crippled looked, or if u pull them straight they get a natural wander with a more natural looking swim action.

heres my lake ones, left the saltwater ones we were using on the coast for a buddy to keep slaying with.

IMG_1970.jpg

got alot of good halibut on the big version too! gunna be taken these for some pike/musky

IMG_1968.jpg

That live target should kill the fish!!!... But I have been researching and thinking about this for sometime now unlike some lakes bait is rather plentiful in the ocean and springs are after a relatively easy meal that being wounded baitfish and why cut plugs teasers and spoons work good. A crank bait simulates a healthy baitfish. The big advantage of a tomic being it floats and fluctuations in speed and turning creates large fluctuations in depth...... Provided you run 50+ feet off your clip I also think the angle in which a tomic runs might look slightly "unhealthy".

Maybe I'm full of it but this is what I have been thinking might be the reasons why regular baitfish looking crank bait doesn't work how one would think...... Thoughts?

Back