Crabbing and Prawning

poet1971

Hey everyone,

I just got my first boat and am new to a few things. I have done some crabbing before and know that Pedder and Sooke harbor are good spots. I dropped in Pedder Bay last weekend and struck out. What is anyone hearing for crabbing spots? Also, I have never prawned before. What so I need to know? Where do I go? Any pointers would be helpful.

Looking forward to getting out there,

Poet

Pedder By has been poor for crabbing for a lot of people from what i hear but the harbour mouth in vic has been better. Prawing was great in Brentwood bay latley but check the regs. Good luck.

11 prawn traps on used Vic right now give the guy a call. Make sure the mesh isnt too stretched or prawns will get out. For $50 each i expect rope, floats and bait cups to come with those traps unless they are top end ones in great shape.

Thanks for the heads up GDW. Stopped by and had a look. They looked good so I bought a couple. Will probably go back after my birthday to get two more (if they are shill there). Thanks islander and Newfie boy for the pointers too. I might try Saanich inlet tomorrow

Gonna try the inlet today. Just across from Elbow Point. I'll put Deep Cove on the chart to try next time. Thanks for the advice Lenardobc

They don't prawn much deeper in the inlet than around 250 feet or all you will get are a trap full of langoustine.
Terry

last time i tried in the inlet thats all i got was those sqat lobsters.. i am told 160' in there, out at deep cove, i am always at 290' and always prawns.. i just started prawning this yr. my new favorite thing to do..

Ya, I was told to go between 175 and 200 further in the Inlet. 200 to 250 in Brentwood Bay. Didn't get to drop the traps today. Motor conked out half way up the inlet:(

Guess I have to wait until late Feb to try again.

Which Deep Cove? The one in the Saanich Inlet is closed for sport prawning isn't it?

Back