Crab cake recipes.

T

tortuga

Any good recipes on here.
I'm looking to make them so it's mostly crab on the inside,and panko or breadcrumbs on the outside.
How do you bind the crab bits so the cake doesn't break. I heard that rice works but haven't tried it yet.
As far as sauce goes, Toscanos crabcakes in Comox has a deeeelishious 1/2 balsamic reduction, 1/2 cream sauce on the plate.
I'd like to know whats in that cream sauce.

I make mine with a whipped egg and bread crumbs for a binder. I guess after you did that you could dip the hole thing in egg and roll in bread crumbs again if you want that seperation in the crust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting to sound good.
Whip those eggs eh.

The last time I added bread crumbs it was more life a stuffing.
Too much I guess.

yum
http://www.fishingportrenfrew.ca/crabcakes.htm

Clean and boil 1 or more crabs, Dungeness or Rock.
Unshell the crabs...no shell fragments! Put the crab meat in a bowl of water and swish around, the heavier shells will sink to bottom. Scoop out meat and press out as much water as possible.
For 1 crab, dice half an onion and 2 stalks of celery. Saute in oil until browned.
Add onion and celery to crab mean. Crack an egg into it and add 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise. Mix well.
Add spices to taste -- some paprika adds nice zing.
Crumble some crackers or corn flakes into a shallow bowl. Scoop a golf ball size of crab mix, roll into crumbs -- don't worry if it isn't well-formed, it will firm up in pan.
Heat frying pan to medium, add cooking oil or butter. Drop ball in, flatten with spatula to 1 cm thick.
Cook until brown on both sides.
Serve with cocktail sauce: stir ketchup, mayo, and tabasco sauce.
Voila....crab cakes!

small_crabcakes.jpg

Gawd Juandesooka, that looks awful! ;)

Tortuga, less is definitely better when using bread crumbs/panko as binder.

I also used a beaten egg (you don't need much!), and a little bit of panko.

Let them sit in the fridge for maybe 1/2hr to set up, then I just pat some panko onto each cake.

Pan fry, serve with a lemon/Tabasco aioli. If you add chopped up pickles, it makes a quasi-tartar sauce as well.

Damn, now I'm hungry for some Dungies!!

pinch a currie in them cakes,, mmmmm

Any good recipes on here.
I'm looking to make them so it's mostly crab on the inside,and panko or breadcrumbs on the outside.
How do you bind the crab bits so the cake doesn't break. I heard that rice works but haven't tried it yet.
As far as sauce goes, Toscanos crabcakes in Comox has a deeeelishious 1/2 balsamic reduction, 1/2 cream sauce on the plate.
I'd like to know whats in that cream sauce.

Sweet chilli sauce or red pepper jelly work great as toppings.

Second on the mashed potato equal parts of crab to mashed mix really well add in a egg add garlic,dill, S&P mrs dash whatever you like mix it all together use your hands thats what god gave you LOL
then bread with panko bread crumbs if you have a deep fryer place in gently for about 30 seconds just to seal them ...and "crisp" them up finish in the oven on a cookie sheet with heavy duty tin foil sprayed with pam about 10 to 15 mins make some homemade tarter( on my web site) and your set to go best part is the ones you made and sealed you can now freeze them for a later date, got about only 6 left in my freezer.....

Good luck enjoy wolf

Made my best ever last night and it was a combo of everyones suggestion.
Crab, whipped egg, mashed potato, sauted onion and celery, bit of panko, pinch of curry, S&P, mayo,lemon juice.
Roll into a ball and drop in panko/bread crumbs. Put in frypan with oil, press with spatula.

Sauce was mayo, lemon and dill.

Sorry, still cant post pics but they looked and tasted primo.

a couple narrow strips of Jarlsberg cheese over the top for the last few minutes just to melt the cheese. Served between two very thin slices of lightly toasted sourdough....

Just another thought :D

First of all don't rinse your crab to cool after cooking you will be rinsing away flavour. Dump out the water and let air cool.

Tke 2 cups shucked crab meat.
Add 1 whipped egg
1/4 cup panko or breadcrumbs
1/4 cup mashed potatoe
TBLS mayo
1/2 cup diced and sauted celery and onion
S&P
Pinch of curry powder
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1/2 lemon juiced

Mix, shape into balls and roll in panko and /or breadcrumbs.
Drop in hot oil or bacon fat.
Flatten with spatula and fry till golden brown.

Real crab cakes don't have potato IMO. Coarse cleaned crab is what its all about. Other delicate ingredients to compliment but I just like meat in my crab cakes not meat and potatoes.

Real crab cakes don't have potato IMO. Coarse cleaned crab is what its all about. Other delicate ingredients to compliment but I just like meat in my crab cakes not meat and potatoes.

I agree JuandeOne. Just enough mayo, egg, mayo (and whatever else to spice it up) to hold it together. The key is to have the way more crab than any filler IMHO.

heh, real key is to be somewhere with so much crab that it's almost stupid ... and then making crab burgers more than cakes. You go to a fancy restaurant and order crab cakes, you get 3 tiny little toonie sized cakes.

My kitchen after a Spring Renfrew mission ... tennis ball sized at least! :)

The worst part though ... cracking and cleaning all those crabs! [by the way, I've found that the cooked and cleaned crab meat freezes quite well in vacuum bags ... I like to save some for when company comes over, major points with the in-laws from "fresh" crab cakes]

I use potato in my crab cakes because thats what I use in my salmon or halibut cakes. Salmon is much dryer so mabey works better. I made some up on friday but they didnt turn out as good as usual. For sure 90% crab 10% filler including green onion etc. I think trick is to let set up in fridge for at least 15 min before frying.

Well, I couldn't hold off any longer. I had frozen some crab that I was able to get on some "trips" with Spring Fever.... Did much like Tortuga did however, no measuring and a smaller batch. Here is a pic, the one thing I did different is fry them in Duck fat......sorta of like Crab confit....

IMG_3573.jpg

SS

Back