CR Thieves

Maybe check out Priorty One Computers in Victoria. They use to sell all kinds of battery powered motion sensor alarms.

how do you secure the camera so that it does not get taken or damaged or have the card taken?

With the trail cameras the best approach is to make them invisible. Since there's no visible light coming from the one FA recommended and since most thieves hit in the night, that's not too hard to do. An alternative is a camera that uploads data wirelessly to the cloud (such as DropCam). However, those require a power source, an internet connection and in some cases a waterproof enclosure. In many cases, power and internet is not available so the trail cams are the best option.

I hope there is a special place in hell where these low lifers are banished to an eternity of fixing reels with endless birds nests...other issue is guys who buy this hot stuff...if there was no market for cheap riggers and kickers this would be simple.

You hit the nail on the head. With the advent of sites like "UsedEverywhere", eBay, Kijiji, etc. it makes it very easy to move stolen goods. In fact, the traffic in stolen goods has become so rampant due to these sites that the cops can't even keep up with it. The only reasons they even take reports are to satisfy insurance requirements, and on the odd chance they catch someone with a bunch of stuff and can trace a serial number. Because of the frequency of these smaller thefts, the magnitude (i.e. dollar value) of theft and fraud investigations has risen so high that the cops never see the small stuff. If they do find a stash of stolen goods it is inevitably mixed in with some other, broader investigation.

This is not to say that the cops are not doing their jobs, but simply that petty crime is out of control and they have to focus on the bigger stuff.

The best thing we can do is stop looking for the "AWESOME DEALS" we all want to find on UsedVictoria, UsedNanaimo, etc. and if we do find one, take the guys info down, run the serial numbers past the local PD, make sure you go and meet the guy at his house, ask why he is selling the stuff, have a look around his pad for things that don't add up. I once went to buy riggers off a guy in Langford and he wanted to drop them off at my house. No thanks... I'm not showing some stranger where I store my boat, quad, etc. So I said, I would pick them up at his place. He was reluctant, but agreed. When I got there, the riggers were in the back of his van along with a bunch of power tools, picture frames, crab traps, prawn nets, some rope, just a bunch of **** that didn't add up. I asked for the manuals, a receipt, anything that would make me feel like he was legit. He had nothing. In fact, he didn't even have the mounts (dead give away that this stuff was hot). I didn't see a boat around (not that it could not have been moored), and I asked if I could use his restroom and he said no. When we was looking through some stuff in his van, I took a pic of his license plate and the contents in his van. I told him right straight that I wasn't interested in his crap because I was pretty sure it was hot. that kinda pissed him off, but I said look, if it's not stolen, then I am the one losing out. But I am not willing to take the chance. Anyway, I went right down to the cops, showed them the pic, gave them a statement about what i saw, and they looked into it. The address he gave me didn't match to the registration of the vehicle, but they did catch up to guy within a couple of days. The cops told me that none of the stuff that I saw was in the van, and they could not get a warrant to search his house based on what I gave them. So that was that.

Every time I see a great deal on UsedVictoria I look into it pretty carefully and I think about how I would feel if I bought something that got stolen off of one of my friends, or someone from this forum, or even just some guy who wanted to take his family fishing on the weekend, and now could not. I don't want that juju on my conscience.

http://www.amazon.ca/Primos-Truth-Blackout-Hunting-Camera/dp/B009YJEEKK

no glow, no flash, only need to check after something happens. Battery's last me about one year.

I agree with the trail cameras, great for documenting things, but AFTER they occur. I think you should mount one high, where they can't easily get it down, and they can SEE THE FLASH. This way they know they have been photographed and they are more likely to bug out and leave your stuff behind. Maybe the ideal situation is two cameras, one that is invisible as FA described, and one that has a visiable flash for a deterrent.

Hey FA How clear of a picture is the 1.3 mgpxl night shot? Or do you have it in video mode? And what happens if you and or the cops cant identify the person, you're stuff is still gone.

Its sad that we have to spend money to secure something we worked hard for and spent a lot of money on in the first place.
That's money I'd rather put in the gas tank and be out on the water. Ok maybe a couple new lures.

bust the fork...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think with the game cameras you may just get pictures of guys wearing hoodies.

I have used driveway alarms to but they do go off all the time for no apparent reason. When I use them now I put them where they have to be physically moved to go off and I put the beeper close buy too. If you do not know where the beep box is you can not move the sensor without it going off period.

Gone are the days now when you could load your boat up the night before ready for a next day early morning departure

You can always look at a few other deterrents... I miss our doberman.... I don't know if I saw one of these coming up to me might think twice. How about a Canso ( last pic)....

German-Shepherd.jpg1357067771135146.jpgkingo58.jpg

Ya my German Shepard passed about 2 yrs ago. 14 yrs with no worries of theft. LOL
Ummm yep Canso would scare the **** out of me.

busted!!

attachment.php

Back