Cowichan

020.jpg
[/IMG]

Found this B/S combo on the river last week. Found some gross snagging set ups before but this is the lowest of the low!!

yeah that's a beauty rig , fished the cowichan for a couple hours , lots of boats on the river and guys on the banks, no floats down today ..

Sorry RLN I can't actually compare the dragging factor of glass to tin as I have only dragged glass. I have been told that tin is not easy to drag and you were able to clarify that point. What the heck is a "gluvit" ?

I used to take a 13' tin boat to Toquart Bay.When it was left high and dry it took about 5 of us to drag it back down to the water and it was real grunt. When a friend left his 18' glass boat high and dry,about 6 of us pushed/dragged it back down the sand to the water with very little effort.
Dave

River update for Cowie drifters. Thanks to steeliehead the log below Sandys has now split. No problems passing through now. Not many on the flow today but the viz was not to bad today.

Nice day on the river today- Really nice to see the CO's checking people today- believe they handed out a few ticket too.

I think DFO was with MoE and they were going for the nuts. Trying to write tickets for bait, barbed hooks, asking about your relationship with the boat rower if you were in a drift boat thinking there may be a bit of illegal guiding happening and even boating infractions like throw lines, life jackets (1 per person) if you are even wearing them or just have them stored, bailing buckets, whistles, etc.
Be prepared and safe out there.

Even though i have all the safety gear in my drift boat. When i have been checked by the CO's, they never ask to see my safety equipment. I wear my pfd, but some of my buddies do not, again they have never ask to see pfd's. I don't know were you are getting your info but i question it ?? Most of the time it's a gear and licence check and if you are guide.

They never checked my boat for the safty gear yesterday but its in plain site- just check my licence and chat for a little bit. I know of one lack of life jackets in the boat infraction yesterday and saw them right up someone else -not sure what for.

My friend who was out today had a similar experience to Rin's post above, bang on actually. The CO even asked my buddies old man if he had any rum in his can of Pepsi. Pretty simple; just keep your nose clean.

Even though i have all the safety gear in my drift boat. When i have been checked by the CO's, they never ask to see my safety equipment. I wear my pfd, but some of my buddies do not, again they have never ask to see pfd's. I don't know were you are getting your info but i question it ?? Most of the time it's a gear and licence check and if you are guide.
I am getting my info fresh off of the river. Any else get check by the DFO woman? She was borderline out of control.

Ya they were checking for all safety gear on saturday. buddy of mine got a ticket for only having two life jackets in the boat. another cowichan guide got a pretty hefty fine for not having his guides license on him as well both of his clients didnt have licenses!!!!! apparently some shore guy received over 800 dollars in fines for various infractions. they even were asking about ladders for drift boats! It is about time we've seen some enforcement on the flow. hopefuly they keep it up.

Back