Cowichan River

Stosh

Does anyone have any information on the weir that is visible from the Allenby Rd. bridge in Duncan?
Thanks
Stosh

Does anyone have any information on the weir that is visible from the Allenby Rd. bridge in Duncan?
Thanks
Stosh
I have stopped in for a visit, but dont know tons about it. It's run by Tribes, DFO and U Vic. The day I was there , they were taking samples and inserting rfid tags into the fish so they know how they spend their time in the river. Watching them work was a cool way to spend 20 minutes.
Not sure if that's the info you are looking for.

Fish Brain
Thanks for the info.
I didn’t have time to stop to check it out. I don’t often go that way and hand see it before.
Stosh

It's the counting fence they put up every year until the big rains come and a large log takes it out.For some reason they haven't figured out yet,the fish don't seem to like passing through the counter.Maybe the camera flash that takes a picture or the small size of the exit hole,who knows?On another note,I was downstream yesterday at the Black Bridge and the Coho are stacked up in the pool there by the hundreds so they've started running.Surprised me as the river is still quite low and still a little early for them but watched them pour into the pool for downstream one after another.Cool to watch when the waters low and clear like it is right now.

It's the counting fence they put up every year until the big rains come and a large log takes it out.For some reason they haven't figured out yet,the fish don't seem to like passing through the counter.Maybe the camera flash that takes a picture or the small size of the exit hole,who knows?On another note,I was downstream yesterday at the Black Bridge and the Coho are stacked up in the pool there by the hundreds so they've started running.Surprised me as the river is still quite low and still a little early for them but watched them pour into the pool for downstream one after another.Cool to watch when the waters low and clear like it is right now.
Maybe I can find time to go down and have a peek. Good to see a positive start to the run.

I heard a week ago second hand that 3k springs were through the fence fingers crossed it’s another good season.

Was down there again this morning looking off the Black Bridge.Saw the biggest spring I've seen in a while.It just dwarfed the others around it.In the 40's for sure.The coho are just thick as well.Hope they open it up early like last year again.Time to pull out the jig tying material and crank a few more twitching jigs out!

Wonderful to see the Cowichan River returns doing well.
If you must target mature salmon heading home to spawn, please let some go for me!
I personally do not participate in this kind of fishery - my choice.
Stosh

I only take what I need,Stosh. The rest are gently and respectfully released.For me it's a sustanence thing as a medical condition I suffer from requires me to eat as organic as I can.Sooke was not kind to me this fall in my boat,so I will fill my remaining
salmon jars with Cowichan Coho and I won't apologize for doing so.

Thanks Rum Buddies
With the low water levels this year, we need to save all the spawners we get into the systems to insure future survival of our fish.
Stosh

Back