Cowichan River Water Crisis

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
I just wanted to report in case this isn't on your radar. Things are pretty grim up here... Very.Very low water in the Cowichan. Some sections are dried up severely.

http://www.cowichanvalleycitizen.com/news/cowichan-river-crisis-counting-down-to-zero-1.1272060

I have never seen the river this low in all my years up here.... I am sure this is a theme for all the rivers in BC. Cowichan will be hit hard this year for its chinook run. Already the fry are in jeopardy....Just not enough water, and with impacts to pollutants, tubing etc....It only will get worse.

my dad has lived in lake cowichan for 76 years fished on the river all the time he used to walk across the river in the summer just getting his feet wet.before the weir was build the river used to get low all the time.the fishing in the top half of the river went down hill fast,and you could see the salmon runs going down to.i was on the board to see what to do raise the lake or put 2 or 3 pipes under the weir out about half miles to get cooler water better for the fish and not flooding out people do it .I went to the weir took a tape up 3 feet with a level the water will be away up on the shores so I wish people will look at the pipe it is better for the fish and cooler water to .that is what they say

my dad has lived in lake cowichan for 76 years fished on the river all the time he used to walk across the river in the summer just getting his feet wet.before the weir was build the river used to get low all the time.the fishing in the top half of the river went down hill fast,and you could see the salmon runs going down to.i was on the board to see what to do raise the lake or put 2 or 3 pipes under the weir out about half miles to get cooler water better for the fish and not flooding out people do it .I went to the weir took a tape up 3 feet with a level the water will be away up on the shores so I wish people will look at the pipe it is better for the fish and cooler water to .that is what they say
This sounds like a good solution for down the road,but it won't help things this year.It's unfortunate that it has been
left this long,as they have known for many years that something needed to be done.Personally,I could care less about
"the poooorrrrr lakefront owners" that will loose some of their beech front.Climate change is here and it's not going
away.It's just that some people are so resilient to change!!

This is hard to take.
Anglers in area 14 depend on those springs.
We are having the same problem on the Puntledge River.
Not that bad yet but the summer is not over.
Our solution is a pipe also that goes far out into the lake.
Major bucks, into the millions if I recall.
Perhaps a class action law suit is in order to pay for this.
I'm sure other rivers and their community's have been effected the same as ours.
Who would we sue? Why the feds and CAPP. http://www.capp.ca/
It's there fault they should pay.

Most likely we will be the ones getting stuck with the bill.
Nice... They (Feds) green light to pump up out CO2, climate gets hotter and dryer, CAPP adds shareholder value.
We are left on the short end of the stick.

I read a great article in the Vancouver Sun (July 26th) about Joe Saysell saving fish on the Cow. He walks along the river, trenches to connect pools of fry baking in the warm water, and collects fry in a bucket and takes them to deeper water when necessary. He has guided the river for decades. Awesome to see someone taking initiative to help the cause. And thanks to SpringVelocity for posting the article as well.

first I've heard of the pipe suggestion, seems like a no-brainer! Whiney home owners don't loose their precious shoreline and you could control the flow of water down to the liter if needed.

Any more info, has there been a proposal put forth any specifics or just dinner table talk?

Back