cowichan river read

Wasn't it a few years ago when DFO opened up a commerical fishery in Cow Bay for Springs? This was before the fish had made it up stream due to low water levels. I remember hearing that they managed to wipe out 10 years of hard work in one day. Not sure how true it is but I do remember hearing that. No one at DFO looked in the river to see if the fish had made it into the river yet. Just said it will be open for 12 hours on this date and that was that. Wiped them all out....grim.

Cowichan bay has been closed to fishing for at least 20 years.I don't recall there being a commercial opening other than Chum and that is on the saltspring side..DFO may have the final say on the Cowichan but the band runs the show.The numbers have been dropping for years.Perhaps that 20lber someone caught at Sooke,Campbell river,French creek or Sidney was a Cowichan.Fish get hit hard some runs can't handle it.

Frango is correct in his recall , the hatchery run by the Cowichan Tribe has been underfunded by DFO and other sources they produce what they can with what they have , their cultural and food fishery was suspended during the time of supposed Chinook run in and the river was controlled in conjunction with the mill and use of the weir.
If some of you recall last year we spoke of the abundance of Chum in the Bay and around the Saltspring area these are the fish the tribes are now targeting for their aboriginal purposes , I was down talking to he Band fisheries officers today and will speak to a couple of friends of mine who are also Band members as to thoughts for the future and offer to work as a volunteer in a hatchery project with them.

Regards

AL

Couple of years ago during a big snow fall the tribe hatchery ran out of diesel fuel killing the entire stock. With that loss and no money for enhancement and miss management it was doomed.. It will take a first class hatchery and lots of money for enchancement to bring back the run. Gone are the days of Separation point..

THanks for the clarification on the fishery. I will do a bit more research on it but I believe you are right. I too would volunteer to work on the Cowichan as it is in my back yard. What a shame that a river that once supported 3 commerical fisheries in it's day (Coho, Chum and Chinook) can barely support one. Grim.

I for one would do what it takes to help rebuild this river in the capacity that I can.If it requires a closure in area 19 and 18 for an indefinite time,so be it.How about volunteer riverbed cleanup?
It is unfortunate that it requires everybodys help,as too many just do not seem interested.
We,as a society must try though,with as much help we can muster.

Hooch

Back