Cowichan River Fly Fishing Tips

Hey all,
i want to catch a brown on the cowichan. Any tips, flies, hatches on right now woulod be appreciated!
NSF

Drift down in your float tube from town, heavy gold bead head muddlers and big leeches fished fairly deep worked for me. I got one quite close to the main green bridge on town. You're pull out will be little beach, it's a good couple hours fishing to get there, then a 20 minute walk back to town.

Or.. spinners will work, try a rooster tail, or fish with imitation eggs, single egg copy's ect.

Scott

Dead drifted egg patterns are matching the hatch Fall through to early Spring. Then bead head nymph patterns. pheasant tails and golden stones. Now the water has dropped and warmed up the fishing gets tough. Lots of bugs so watch the hatches, though the biggest browns hide in the deep secluded holes by day, and prefer substantial food like fry and crayfish.
I'd target the water from Skutz falls upstream, and also down stream as far as Stoltz campground. Watch the regs. for closures and gear restrictions.

Dead drifted egg patterns are matching the hatch Fall through to early Spring. Then nymph patterns. pheasant tails and golden stones. Now the water has dropped and warmed up the fishing gets tough. Lots of bugs so watch the hatches, though the biggest browns hide in the deep secluded holes by day, and prefer substantial food like fry, crayfish and even mice.
I'd target the water from Skutz falls upstream, and also down stream as far as Stoltz campground. Watch the regs. for closures and gear restrictions.

Back