Cowichan River Counter

G

Ghost21

Why do they put the counter so high up the river ?

Seems like they are just counting the fish that weren't gilled , snagged , or speared.

Didn't I read somwhere that it is a heritage river and that it holds world fame for it's fishing. How has the government turned a blind eye to this river that has had so much potential.

I think they need to have a counter a little closer to the mouth of the river to jump to a conclusion on the amount of fish coming up the river.

Wasn't it last year that they counted 600 fish; That's 600 fish that made it past the gauntlet.

I don't know actual distance to the mouth of the river but I can think that its around 10km to the mouth and I'm more then likely more...

That's 10km of fish count to get skewed.

This is a great river and if the government would open there eyes and drop some of that damn HST money into the river maybe we would have a world class river back.. not this S... hole we got now..

I think the counter is placed high up the river to get a count on what is actually likely to make it up the river to the spawning beds.

A second counter at the mouth would, without doubt, give a good number for the fish entering the system, and perhaps a more exact number the tribe takes. And I only mention that because I am sure somebody is going to blame the band.

I talked to one of the local fisheries officers a week ago, and the number that is taken by the tribal members is 450-550 springs. Even allowing for a bit of undercounting, the count is not likely to exceed 600.

Not a huge number of fish. Probably fewer than the west coast sports and Area G troll fleet take.

The fence is there to put together an escapement estimate. Getting through the lower river is one of the many obstacles fish have to "escape" to return to their spawning grounds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

><///(°> ><///(°>

I don’t have the numbers for coho for 08 and 09 but I thought I would post up some numbers from years gone by. You can read this report for further information.
http://www.12things.ca/12things/uploads/FinalReportJune2010.pdf

CowichanCoho.jpg

GLG

I’m on side with Time on this one. It’s very important that FN have a chance to harvest fish from this river.

We need to be looking at ways to find the problems and fixing them as fast as possible. As you can see on the graph that number go up and down. So it can be done.

Old technology of clip, pin and recover is not telling us what is going on so perhaps we need to look at POST.

We have been asking this at every SFAB meeting for the last 3 or 4 years since DFO announced they would form an adhoc committee to deal with the Cowichan. Nothing. No results.

Back