Cowichan Lake??

Try a Cowichan spoon troll in brass colour trolled fairly quick with 20 ins of leader and the old standby worm , you should also use an F5 glow orange with black spots flatfish on the same length leader,

AL

Thanks for the reminder C Lyse, Yes it will be weird fishing Friday and Saturday with bait then on Sunday having to switch over to no bait, no scent, no treble hooks. I better make sure to catch fish on Saturday...lol.

Is a Cowichan spoon troll one of those large bladed long gang trolls? C Lyse.... you like those orange and black flat fish...Hmmmmm I tend to stick to the plugs. When I fish with a worm and gang troll I normally catch Rainbows but last week fishing in St Mary's Lake with worm and gang troll we must have caught over 20 Cutts on them, (Some good size too.... 1 over 4 lbs on a digital scale)

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

I have so much salt water gear that I know I have some nice spoons I can change over to run with a leader. Another good set up is a single Gibbs blade with a leader with a wedding band and worm on the leader. So many lures so little time, I've never tried real long leaders like cliffjumper (we were talking about this in another thread) likes to use so I'll be sure to give that a try too.

fish.gif

25 years ago,I remember always stopping at Bear Lake after hunting at Gordon River used to be old docks and pilings there, always caught some cutthroat and jack springs and jack coho. Anybody else remember those days ?

25 years ago,I remember always stopping at Bear Lake after hunting at Gordon River used to be old docks and pilings there, always caught some cutthroat and jack springs and jack coho. Anybody else remember those days ?

PS , reeleasy do you remember the locally named "seagull s**t bay" West of the Caycuse Camp ?

Took some very big cuts between that locally named bay and the small islands not too far West of there.

AL

I have only fished Cowichan Lake a few times, but I did have pretty good luck the times I was there. Best luck on apex spoons, behind a small #000 Luhr Jenson dodger. I also had good luck on Flatfish, and 3" Lyman plugs. I have fished big Cuthroats with this gear for years, and it always produces.

Stickleback Rapala (sinking) cast into the weeds by Marble Bay and retrieved erratically works well also.

Back in the late '50's and early '60's there was a couple by the name of AL & Mary McPhee who trolled herring strip and a flasher for big cuts some were over 10 lbs.

AL

Strip used to work well to catch big cutties, but of course it should be mentioned that it is against the regs now a days.

I could think of a really good alternative to try though. You could try Berkley Gulp cut into strips to fit a tiny strip teaser holder. Trolled behind a small 00 or 000 sized dodger. Small dodgers work really well on large Cutties, Rainbows, and Lake Trout. They also work well on Kokanee. Not many people use chrome dodgers these days, but they work extremely well at the slower trolling speeds used in lakes.

Bait fish work well on carnivorous species like Cutthroat, but there is a good reason why using fish parts is illegal. Soon people would be using live bait, then we would have many foreign and unwanted species introduced to prime trout fishing lakes. You never know what the result will be when a foreign species is introduced. That is why the regulations are in place to discourage this practice. We already have enough clowns intentionally introducing foreign species such as bass and perch into Trout lakes. MOE has taken drastic steps to discourage these practices recently. Lakes that had these species introduced have been closed to fishing, everyone loses when they resort to closing the lake. So think twice before promoting using fish as bait in trout waters, there`s good reasons why it`s illegal.

Going by memory here but not too sure that fish part are illegal? Thought you can use the head or body just not attached??

Look like for sturgeon and burbot only

The Big Guy :
I never suggested to use bait either cut or live , I only pointed out what was a common practice many years ago when I was a teenager growing up in the Cowichan Valley area in the 50's
The mention of using herring strip was actually used in one of Alec Merrimans articles back then as he had interviewed the McPhee's for the Colonist at the time.

AL

What do you think?.... I normally only fish plugs by themselves but I'm sure one could use a long leader say 5 to 8 feet long and use a flasher or use a gang troll with it. And if you would use an attractor with the plug would you use small flasher? regular flasher? small gang troll? or large gang troll.
Another question I have for some of you .... Do I fish plugs at the same speed as say a Kripplied K spoon of about the same size? Or is everything fished at different speeds? I'm pretty sure Flatfish have more action at slower speeds so they can be trolled slower and gang trolls as long as they are spinning are going the right speed.(I think) I bet I'll get out there and start trolling with the electric downriggers and just fish at Salmon speed to start and see how that is or would that be going too fast?

fish.gif

If im correct salmon speed may be a little to quick, I remember hearing 1.2-1.4knots for cutties. Somone please correct me if im wrong!

Salmon speed is what I do when trolling plugs to give them enough action. If not using plugs then slower speed would make sense IMHO.

Long live wild salmon!!!

Used to troll the lake alot, some days they wanted a real good and fast troll. Some days rapalla's would outfish Tomics.Color seemed to mater if the water was colored. We fished out of a small aluminum boat with a small outboard no downriggers. Most of the time no weight just the plug way back behind the boat. In the late fall/winter when the lake was high in certain spots we would troll as close to shore as possible, sometimes holding the rods over your head to bring the plugs up a few inches so they wouldn't get snagged. Caught some nice fish that way. Found that some of the bigger cutties 5/6 lbers came in like a wet sack.I have seen guys fishing with salmon gear and gang trolls about 6' long, what is the point. I could see a troll or flasher used on a rigger as an dummy attractor but not on the line.Just might have to give the lake a try it has been years.

Back