Covid Procedures with Guides/Lodges?

Terrin until the all clear is given I will follow best practices. Many aren't aware that the vaccine does not prevent the spread or transmission of the virus...even when fully vaccinated you can still get the virus and give it to others. What the vaccine has been proven to do ifs prevent the serious form of the symptoms that either put you in hospital or kill you. So it reduces the effects to nothing more as a flu at the worst...and more often nothing so you aren't even aware you are infected at the time. Once the 6ft protocol is lifted...to me that signals all clear. Or if I'm watching a hockey game in Vancouver with a full house..its over.

Terrin until the all clear is given I will follow best practices. Many aren't aware that the vaccine does not prevent the spread or transmission of the virus...even when fully vaccinated you can still get the virus and give it to others. What the vaccine has been proven to do ifs prevent the serious form of the symptoms that either put you in hospital or kill you. So it reduces the effects to nothing more as a flu at the worst...and more often nothing so you aren't even aware you are infected at the time. Once the 6ft protocol is lifted...to me that signals all clear. Or if I'm watching a hockey game in Vancouver with a full house..its over.

that’s just not correct. It does reduce transmission but won’t see that headlining the 6pm news

He said prevent, youre saying reduce. Technically youre both right, but youre arguing about something that was never said in the first place. Anybody who pays attention knows the vaccines may reduce (but not prevent) the spread. There are more than 2 vaccines, with even more to come in the future.

This is partly why the virus is still spreading a year later. There is so much information and misinformation out there and even our so-called leaders cant seem to get their story straight on what science to believe.

As a guide who had no season last year on the central coast (and not looking like one this season either) I suggest that wearing a mask, sanitizing and paying attention to the condition of your guests prior to boarding and knowing where they are coming from is not a high price to pay to stay in business. Don’t need guiding to go the way of cruise industry or Whistler over lack of common sense.

that’s just not correct. It does reduce transmission but won’t see that headlining the 6pm news

Restaurants, gyms just took a hit for min 3 weeks..if they can be severely restricted with a couple days notice..anyone can be.

I guess all the CEO's of major hotels, cruise ships lines, airlines, all pro sport owners and commissioners, concert promoters etc etc are all dumbies going along with this because the wool has been pulled over their eyes. But you have it figured out.

Masks are minimally effective at best, if someone is sick with covid on your charter it's not likely to make much difference whether they're wearing a mask or not unless it's a proper n95 mask. Everyone is so hung up on masks but there's plenty of evidence after a year of this that they make little to no difference (except for proper medical grade respirators!).

I think your best safety measure is screening for sick people (or people that have had contact with sick people)before the charter, but your really dependent on their honesty.

Masks are minimally effective at best, if someone is sick with covid on your charter it's not likely to make much difference whether they're wearing a mask or not unless it's a proper n95 mask. Everyone is so hung up on masks but there's plenty of evidence after a year of this that they make little to no difference (except for proper medical grade respirators!).

I think your best safety measure is screening for sick people (or people that have had contact with sick people)before the charter, but your really dependent on their honesty.
Here’s the real evidence regarding masks

Here’s the real evidence regarding masks

More junk science. Actual studies of actual covid infection show they are mostly ineffective, these are mannequins and a smoke machine.

One thing I think we can agree on is physical distancing is the most effective prevention measure and I think having everyone maskless serves as a great reminder that the only barrier to infection is space.

Here's a study by the cdc showing increased rates of infection in a controlled study of people using cloth masks.

Last edited:
Can we stop with the antimask crap. Look around the world, look at which countries are almost back to normal and which countries covid is still running rampant. Lockdowns and masks work, period.

Here is a quote, from the link you posted, so I would hope you dont dismiss this as "junk science" too.

Cloth masks have been used in healthcare and community settings to protect the wearer from respiratory infections. The use of cloth masks during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic is under debate. The filtration effectiveness of cloth masks is generally lower than that of medical masks and respirators; however, cloth masks may provide some protection if well designed and used correctly. Multilayer cloth masks, designed to fit around the face and made of water-resistant fabric with a high number of threads and finer weave, may provide reasonable protection. Until a cloth mask design is proven to be equally effective as a medical or N95 mask, wearing cloth masks should not be mandated for healthcare workers. In community settings, however, cloth masks may be used to prevent community spread of infections by sick or asymptomatically infected persons, and the public should be educated about their correct use.

This thread is now wondering into the discussions that are already occurring in the Covid thread. We allowed this thread to proceed as it was intended specifically for the guide community and planning for the start of the season. If there is more to discuss on the original topic, fine, but if not we will close this one as we are not going to have the same discussions here as have already been discussed elsewhere.

Sigh...I really tried to address profishers original question. If you are truly concerned with safety precautions it's good to be informed on the science of what works. Physical distancing is paramount, but hard to maintain on a sportfishing vessel.

Back