Covid Procedures with Guides/Lodges?

profisher

I want to ask what my fellow guides and lodge owners have in place when taking guests out on the water to prevent the transmission of Covid. In Sooke last summer there were only two of us that did have proper procedures in place...the rest none. I never saw a mask worn once by owners or guests. Last year we were closed until July 1st and this year we are open during a more dangerous time of the year for higher cases in the community. So is my industry going to continue to be irresponsible at least the local operators? I provide masks for those who show up without, have hand sanitizer on board, disinfectant spray (Lysol) and the boat gets wiped down betweeen trips and hand wipes. Until the summer when cases drop off on the Island to zero or very close to it as they did last summer everyone on my boat must wear a mask. Once summer is here and local cases bottom out if everyone in a party is local to the Island I won't enforce masks but if anyone is from off the Island or has traveled in the previous 14 days then me all will mask up. Did anyone else notice guide boats not following the protocols that every other business in BC must follow?

The lodge i work at was closed last summer. Apparently its pretty political to exercise caution and common sense these days. I wouldnt plan on cases dropping to zero this summer, the new variants are way more contagious and people (of all ages, sorry horgan) arent being nearly as cautious as before.

If i was operating locally, the protocols you described seem reasonable but i would still require everyone to wear masks.

As for my lodges season this year, haida gwaii residents should all be vaccinated soon which might make it more likely for HG to reopen. If it does i would expect bc residents only, preflight screening, lots of hand sanitizer and possibly masks.

Good on both you guys for ringing the Caution Bell. I just got off the phone with one of my customers in Vancouver and he brought me up to date on the spikes going on in both BC and Ontario. YIkes!

I just got Jab No. 2. Are my habits going to change? No way. Maybe an outdoor restaurant...no way an indoor restaurant. There are too many lazy knuckledraggers out there that still think it’s politically cute to flaunt C19 protocols and apparently they’re too stupid to realize it, or just don’t care, that they put all the rest of us at risk.

If I was a guide I’d be behaving exactly like you guys, both for my protection, my guest’s protection, and for showing exemplary, prudent behavior that maybe, just maybe, might rub off on my clients. Is it a PITA? Yes, it’s a PITA, no doubt, but you’re showing that you care and respect other people’s health and welfare and I hope you get tipped accpordingly at the end of the trip for rising to the occasion and showing you care

Last edited:
i will do the same as last season-pre trip covid survey every morning before boarding,
hand san everyone before they come on, tell them not to pick their nose.
i wear a face cover inside the cabin, or onboard when we are close outside.
everything gets a quick spray and wipe once they are off the boat.

The SFI worked closely with Provincial Health, Tourism, Hotel Associations and others to develop draft guidelines last season. WCFGA took in as much of these info sources and developed a set of guidelines for members to consider using, as well as pre-trip guest check-list. WCFGA sent those out to members, and this is good reminder to get those updated and sent out again for the upcoming season. A good point in sending customers the check-list is it spells out how to prepare, travel safely, avoid stopping in local communities unless absolutely necessary etc.

I know of several lodges that developed their own using the guidelines created by the SFI and others. Bottom line is this is a moving target with health officials learning as we go...things are changing constantly based on lessons learned.

The hotel sector developed a comprehensive covid protocol for all hotels and lodges to employ in consultation with Provincial Health. Keeping people within their travel cohort is a key consideration, and also not creating situations where there is opportunity for different groups to mix. I have a box of masks on board as well as hand sani and I liked the Microban 24 product for high touch surfaces (including reels and rod handles at end of day). I also personally found the buff to be a lot more comfortable to use than those disposable masks. Buff does make a version which has a pocket you can insert a disposable filter.

However, no matter how careful there is still risk - especially with these new highly transmissible variants. Vaccines can't come fast enough.

Perhaps the Province will treat lodge staff as an important group to vaccinate as a prevention measure to control spread by essential workers.

I even put away my washable coffee mugs, common stirring spoon...bought a couple sleeves of paper cups/lids, plastic spoons and went from a single container of sugar to individual packets...all to reduce chances of transmission. I think cases will drop as the vaccine ramps up...they are saying we will all have the opportunity by July 1...we didn't have that in our corner last summer.

You may want to hit the guests with an instant read thermometer before they board the boat. That way you can add policy to your charter agreement that states anyone with an abnormal temperature must not board the vessel without medical clearance.

You may want to hit the guests with an instant read thermometer before they board the boat. That way you can add policy to your charter agreement that states anyone with an abnormal temperature must not board the vessel without medical clearance.
Excellent recommendation! It takes 15 seconds to run a temp.... and it shows your clients that you’re on top of things with and have their welfare in mind

Excellent recommendation! It takes 15 seconds to run a temp.... and it shows your clients that you’re on top of things with and have their welfare in mind
Having researched this as a reliable and consistent indicator to use as a screening criteria, what we learned was temperature alone as a screening criteria is unreliable.

I already have a digital temp tool so not an issue to add it to my routine...may not help but doesn't do any harm either.

I recently took a training course at a safety place In doors. It’s was masks at all times, temp check on the way in and social distancing with tables separated.

obvsiously guides benefit from being out doors in a well ventilated area so even with no measures the risk is relatively low.

I think I’ve seen one C boat where quests were wearing masks in the few
Dozen time I’ve been out since this pandemic began.

the case count is high in BC right now so it’s definitely something to be aware of.

The risk imo is the party and traveling before and after fishing.

In Sooke last summer there were only two of us that did have proper procedures in place...the rest none.

SO you know all our guides that didn't follow anything ,,, funny that... maybe ask people before you put something like this up you dont have a clue how other operators run there business and find this offensive ..... quite a broad statement rollie as I for 1 did!!!! I disinfected my boat constantly even during the trip. And I know for a fact the guides that moored near me did the same had a speech before the trip and disinfected boat. AS I SAW IT AND HEARD IT !!!!

Before people even boarded my boat I have a safety protocol sheet and in that I covered flares ,first aid, fire extinguisher, bathroom , life jackets coast guard. while boat under way etc. All had to apply hand sanitizer. before even stepping on boat and after using bathroom or anything as I encouraged to use it ...Did I always wear a mask all the time , no but either did you !!!!!

If we are smart about this and be cautious
we can have a good summer . really why put hate on your fellow guides ...

Also by the time the summer season really kicks in we should all be vaccinated and not even really have to worry about it.. wait and see before you do chicken little drama....

Wolf as I said I made masks mandatory for any trip where anyone was not local or had traveled. So there were trips when masks weren't worn. I never saw ONE single mask all summer last year on any guided boat. Not one. I know Mark did but he never fished up west with us last summer so never saw him. And on the first trips when we first opened up on July 1st ..I got the WTF smirk my way from some of the newer guys. Right now masks on everyone no exceptions as we have our share of cases happening locally. We are outdoors but we are in contact with people in less than 6ft and for long periods of time. But the drama queen is willing to be proven wrong...I'll keep an eye out for masks again this spring and summer. All it will take is one case traced back to a fishing charter where masks weren't worn and you know how full well how government bodies over react and we all suffer for it.

I,m sure it wasn't easy for the guides last year and they all did there best to deal with it. Look at all the other boats me included who would take out a buddy who worked all week and was in contact with lots of people.. I didn't wear a mask but we tried our best to be safe. Probably best not to throw other guides under the bus lol.. Oh and can't wait for the annual how to troll otter point in ebb and flood tides this year.

Rollie you dont get it last year we didnt even have to wear a mask into costco or grocery stores until later , and now your bringing something up to stir the pot. You put us all under the same label boosting no one followed anything well your WRONG keep to minding your own business and dont worry about anyone elses business..
I like you alot off the water but when you do crap like this I really dont understand why or what your trying to accomplish??? we have to work together and make any fishing area a good one where people want to come back... if you read what I wrote I made every step possible for the safety of people MASKS were not mandatory.
Now with the new season it has to be and we have to its a pain in the butt but we have to so look forward not backwards and hope we all have a better season...

You guys can get ur jabs in on Rollie if it makes you feel better, its not a good look though. We knew masks were effective at slowing the spread right from the beginning. Hell, they knew it 100 years ago for the spanish flu. Maybe it wasnt "mandatory" but thats because Bonnie Henry was pushing her agenda to protect the supply of N95 masks without being honest about the issue.

This is a good discussion to have unless you want the whole industry shut down for another year. Maybe doing the bare minimum isnt enough. Its obvious that our leaders could and should do more to inform the public and slow the spread of the virus. Ultimately guiding is foremost about ensuring the safety of yourself and your guests. Rollie isnt naming or shaming anybody, hes citing his real world experiences as an example of whats happening in the industry.

You guys can get ur jabs in on Rollie if it makes you feel better, its not a good look though. We knew masks were effective at slowing the spread right from the beginning. Hell, they knew it 100 years ago for the spanish flu. Maybe it wasnt "mandatory" but thats because Bonnie Henry was pushing her agenda to protect the supply of N95 masks without being honest about the issue.

This is a good discussion to have unless you want the whole industry shut down for another year. Maybe doing the bare minimum isnt enough. Its obvious that our leaders could and should do more to inform the public and slow the spread of the virus. Ultimately guiding is foremost about ensuring the safety of yourself and your guests. Rollie isnt naming or shaming anybody, hes citing his real world experiences as an example of whats happening in the industry.
I think you miss Wolf's point. Masks were not mandatory! Will you keep ask instructing your guests to wear masks after this is behind us, because it still helps transmission of all viruses or let your guest decide?

Obviously not after covid is behind us, which will hopefully be soon. And itll be sooner if more people had the same attitude as Rollie about things and just wore a mask because its the right and courteous thing to do.

The Covid rules are and always have been from the start stay 6ft away from anyone outside of your bubble or take the recommended precautions. That has never changed...the only thing that relaxed last summer was that you could have up to 10 people in your bubble and could hold outside events of up to 50 people...but you still had to maintain 6ft and if something prevented that..still required to take the precautions. BTW my business is effected by what others do or don't do when government sticks their noses into things because someone screwed up. And thanks Adv...I never singled anyone out by name..only reported what I saw over the entire year. Still seeing pictures now of guides with clients and fish posing shoulder to shoulder, no masks. I stay out of those pictures or take them so the guests can take off their masks for their pics. Those clients aren't in their or my immediate family bubble. I know it sucks but there is a reason cases are climbing and we all want this to end sooner than drag on and on. Wolf this has nothing to do with stirring the pot it has to do with staying open and being able to survive financially. If nothing is said it would likely only be a matter of time before **** happens.

Back