Corrosion is normal in these spots?

ichenjia

Per my earlier post: I took some photos of the 98 Volvo Penta 4.3 GS. It has had 1200 hrs on it and it did receive annual service. I am not sure the corrosion in these spots is normal or not. I smelled a bit of oil burning when it started, does it mean it may need new gaskets and therefore a full rebuild?

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• Image from iOS (23).jpg
    Image from iOS (23).jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Image from iOS (24).jpg
    Image from iOS (24).jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 137
  • Image from iOS (27).jpg
    Image from iOS (27).jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 137
  • Image from iOS (22).jpg
    Image from iOS (22).jpg
    224 KB · Views: 148
When did you have those risers off last? I'd be way more concerned with corrosion on the inside than out. That second pic is your thermostat housing and that's a lot more corrosion then is necessary or typical, it likely lost the raw water pump at some point and sprayed salt water that no one bothered to neutralize. You could clean it up a bit, perhaps spray some salt away.

The rest of it isn't that big a deal at first cut anyway but a 20+ year old IO that's lived in the salt will definitely have some corrosion tales to tell.

When did you have those risers off last? I'd be way more concerned with corrosion on the inside than out. That second pic is your thermostat housing and that's a lot more corrosion then is necessary or typical, it likely lost the raw water pump at some point and sprayed salt water that no one bothered to neutralize. You could clean it up a bit, perhaps spray some salt away.

The rest of it isn't that big a deal at first cut anyway but a 20+ year old IO that's lived in the salt will definitely have some corrosion tales to tell.

Thank you sir!

When did you have those risers off last?

I am not sure whether it was touched during the last service. Does it look like the riser has rust already and a replacement is needed?

That second pic is your thermostat housing and that's a lot more corrosion then is necessary or typical, it likely lost the raw water pump at some point and sprayed salt water that no one bothered to neutralize. You could clean it up a bit, perhaps spray some salt away.

I am guessing the guide who owned the boat didn't really bother with the longevity of the boat.

So a rebuild is imminent?

If you're concerned over the health of the engine you can have a compression test done and send an oil sample out to see how those return. I would for sure pull those risers and have a look inside the manifolds too. I wouldn't necessarily say it's rebuild time but it is an older lump so it may be something to plan for or replace it with a long block.

Last edited:
If you're concerned over the health of the engine you can have a compression test done and send an oil sample out to see how those return. I would for sure pull those risers and have a look inside the manifolds too. I wouldn't necessarily say it's rebuild time but it is an older lump so it may be something to plan for or replace it with a long block.

Thanks for the helpful tips. How long would a long-block rebuild cost approximately? You live on North Shore, which boat mechanics do you recommend?

Thanks for the helpful tips. How long would a long-block rebuild cost approximately? You live on North Shore, which boat mechanics do you recommend?

Funny you should ask...we had an unplanned repower event at 720 hours on our 5.7 320hp gxi this summer. Volvo couldn't ship a 5.7 vortec so we ordered from Michigan Mortorz which sounds cheesey but they delivered an excellent product so far. Vortecs are not easy to come by and this took 13 weeks to repower. We use plessure craft marine at lions gate marina and I do the standard maintenance myself. It ended up being way too much but that's life.

We could have sent ours out for a local rebuild I suppose but when volvo penta said no problem be a week to 10 days for a new long block with 2 year vp warranty I gave in easily. Volvo continually disappointed me with failed etas...and I didn't need any accessories replaced either. Long block on its own was about $7,500 plus a junk load of labor.

I take it this your first inboard? Your overthinking it. That's pretty normal. I would do a compression test and replace manifolds if needed and start using it. Don't rebuild it unless you have 2.

Is it this one?

Last edited:
After you have done a good cleaning of the motor and bilge and flushing with Salt-Away. You may want to consider spraying down your motor with Deep Creep. It was the last thing the Merc dealership did to my motor when they were finished working on it. I would avoid main electrical components and hot manifolds but we spray everything else. It seems to eliminate/protect against most corrosion and keeps bolts etc. freed up and easy to remove during future work and maintenance.

I like boshield t9, has worked well. The last engine looked new with KY mild corrosion on the thermostat housing, I use that junk on most things including snaps, etc

I take it this your first inboard? Your overthinking it. That's pretty normal. I would do a compression test and replace manifolds if needed and start using it. Don't rebuild it unless you have 2.

Is it this one?

That is the one my man

Back