Cool experience on the water!

We were baiting up...cutting some herring when my buddy says..."Um take a look at this". I look up from stringing rods and notice he stopped cutting bait. Then I notice him looking over the side of the boat. Beside him was a humpback...spy hopping and watching US!

So very cool. He rolled around the boat...splashing and showing off. It took a while before he moved far enough away for us to motor off to go back to fishing. All in all a wickedly awesome experience with mother nature.

One moment like this and you could never imagine any harm coming to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRHO9iAODQk

I am so looking forward to this years salmon fishing. Fingers crossed we get some amazing fishing ... and another whale sighting would be a treat!

That would be freaking incredible... :cool:

Unreal, were you freaked out at all ?

For the first 15 minutes it was a bit surreal and a bit more than intimidating. Then you realize this 40 ton kitty cat is just showing off around the boat, spinning and twirling and not once touching the boat yet as close as possible as we drifted in neutral.

Off the coast of Langara Island. Just getting set up to mooch in about 200 feet of water for early season cohos or some deep chinooks or a chicken hali.

I have other videos...surface and underwater on the same youtube channel. The underwater shots are typical rich green water on a foggy raining morning...however you can see one point the humpy spiraling away from the boat and then spots the camera and come charging over, moves its pectoral fins close to the camera a few times then lines up for an underwater look see. Very cool.

Do you think it could go viral? I know in my own head it will never be forgotten. I have a bunch of emails asking me to sell the video. I figured it was just scammers.

Awesome! You will never forget that experience.thanks for sharing it

That made my day. What a great video. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:
That, it absolutely awesome! Thank-you for sharing. It looks like it wants its belly rubbed;).

I've been very intimidated by them when they breach close to the boat since they are bigger than my boat. Amazing how such a huge animal is so gentle when it wants to be. Thanks for sharing.

Back