Cool Dungeness Vid

Actually I slashed the back lengthwise and the tail was cut off. I suppose that might change things.

Have you ever used a dog fish whole? I have and it didn't work. Now if you tie them head to tail and split thier guts there will be nothing left of them when you get back. I believe the crabs are afraid of them. I know a exprawner that used dogs fish for bait. I was told to remove the spines, head and tail then hack them up with a sharp cleaver and stuff the slop into bait cups. Thats all they ever used for bait. No scent, pellets or any other bycatch.

x2 on not using bait cups. I have tested and proven over and over that more crabs are in trap wen I hang a good meal for them to eat off of. Always seem to have less wen I put it in the cage or cup.

Bait cups work welll when you cant get back to the trap for a day or two.

bait cups will hold crab, cause once hanging bait is done it's done and then they will want out, but with both the hanging will get them in and jars will hold them

A trick I use is to use your 4l milk jug containers. Punch a bunch of holes in them, on the side opposite the handle, cut a half oval from the bottom up to the top and back again, but do not cut the bottom off. Punch a hole in both the flap and the main body to put something the tie it closed with. I use a reusable zip strap. Tie the handle in and you now have a reusable bait container.

It is big enough to put a 30 lbs spring head in, or all the trim off a fish or what ever you chose to use.

Cheap, easy to use and the crabs fill the trap.

Cool video, never knew crabs moved so fast under water....;):p

Cheers

SS

Hey SS I probably am spacially challenged (among other things) but am having trouble visualizing what the milk jug looks like as the finished product. Any chance of a picture. Thanks

Hey SS I probably am spacially challenged (among other things) but am having trouble visualizing what the milk jug looks like as the finished product. Any chance of a picture. Thanks

SF

I will post one up in the next few days.

Cheers

SS

Back