Cool Dungeness Vid

Dogbreath

All sorts of facets re:catching Crabs highlighted here-Enjoy!

[LJN7Y-Q_fRM] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJN7Y-Q_fRM&feature=player_embedded

Nice, good reason to use a bait bucket or larger trap where they can't reach it from the outside!

That was really cool. I liked all the sole, sculpins, and other fish coming and going while the crab battle raged on:). Those go pro's are pretty neat units. I think one is going to be in my future........maybe next summer.

Great display of just why you don't want to use a chitty trap! :D

Couple of observations:
Several crabs did the usual wander up to the trap, try to find their way in along one wall, and leave when they can't;
Non-gated entrances allowed them to enter, and leave, at will;
The small inside dimensions of the trap kinda freaked those out that did go in, as they immediately began to hunt for an escape and fled rather than focusing on the bait;
Many simply attacked the bait from outside the trap.

The BEST I have found are commercial stainless traps (like 4' in diameter) with swing bar gates. I have one that is an Absolute Killer! They simply cannot seem to find their way out! But with that HUGE Dance Floor to roam around in, and a LOT of bait, why would they try?
I don't use bait cups with those over-sized traps, simply tie a halibut/rockfish frame into the center. Works for me...

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Nog

Nog, got a pic? Round or square?
He means ones like this http://ladnertraps.com/comcrab.htm

Great rigs but they take up a lot of room on a boat.

crab1.jpg

38tallcrab_dubtrig.jpg

Yup, that's them, and they do take up a lot of room. Worth it IMHO.
Also I add a zinc to one of the bottom rails. Seems to increase catch.

Cheers,
Nog

The biggest ones were sitting on the top feeding from the outside. More like a crab feeder.
Great display of just why you don't want to use a chitty trap! :D

Couple of observations:
Several crabs did the usual wander up to the trap, try to find their way in along one wall, and leave when they can't;
Non-gated entrances allowed them to enter, and leave, at will;
The small inside dimensions of the trap kinda freaked those out that did go in, as they immediately began to hunt for an escape and fled rather than focusing on the bait;
Many simply attacked the bait from outside the trap.

The BEST I have found are commercial stainless traps (like 4' in diameter) with swing bar gates. I have one that is an Absolute Killer! They simply cannot seem to find their way out! But with that HUGE Dance Floor to roam around in, and a LOT of bait, why would they try?
I don't use bait cups with those over-sized traps, simply tie a halibut/rockfish frame into the center. Works for me...

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Nog

x2 on not using bait cups. I have tested and proven over and over that more crabs are in trap wen I hang a good meal for them to eat off of. Always seem to have less wen I put it in the cage or cup.

The best results I had was from a whole dogfish in the cage. There were 14 crabs in one pull 7 were keepers. I am not sure if it was the dogfish or the amount of feed, but I have been using them since with good results.

The best results I had was from a whole dogfish in the cage. There were 14 crabs in one pull 7 were keepers. I am not sure if it was the dogfish or the amount of feed, but I have been using them since with good results.

Never thought of dogfish as bait before? usually a hali frame or rocky or two. Hmmm... may well have to give that a try...

Thanks Gunsmith! Appreciated! :cool:

Cheers,
Nog

Hope the DFO doesn't read this or they will start managing dogfish and there will be none left in a few years!

Yup, that's them, and they do take up a lot of room. Worth it IMHO.
Also I add a zinc to one of the bottom rails. Seems to increase catch.

Yup, they're good ... you can get them cheap used in sooke at crab shack ... ex commercial ones. But they are HEAVY, especially full of crabs, sea stars, what-have-you.

Yup, they're good ... you can get them cheap used in sooke at crab shack ... ex commercial ones. But they are HEAVY, especially full of crabs, sea stars, what-have-you.

Most that have been fished have a large bar welded across one of the lower support rods. Take a grinder and cut that off or you will find them damn tough to haul! Once that has been done, they will still be heavy LOL!
But they fish so well it is worth the Arnie type muscles you'll build dealing with them :D

Cheers,
Nog

At one time I had a connection with a guy who raised chickens. Used 2 get his dead ones. He would pick them up and put them in the freezer. There was zero left of the chicken and trap was full of big crab.

Have you ever used a dog fish whole? I have and it didn't work. Now if you tie them head to tail and split thier guts there will be nothing left of them when you get back. I believe the crabs are afraid of them. I know a exprawner that used dogs fish for bait. I was told to remove the spines, head and tail then hack them up with a sharp cleaver and stuff the slop into bait cups. Thats all they ever used for bait. No scent, pellets or any other bycatch.

Back