Cool Canoe Cove photo in a local pool.

Buddy mentioned this was his last boat! the "Hotei"
View attachment 59768
Yes it was mentioned earlier on, and I am positive this is the boat that Prince Charles and Diana were on during the tour of False Creek during the opening of Expo 86. When Jack Charles built it, it was the same hull as Jimmy Pattison's earlier boat (, Francis Marie?) but rumour has it that Jack had to build it so it was a few feet longer than Jimmy’s. LOL

"One of the boats moored at Quayside this day is the Hotei, the 115-foot craft Bredbeck often skippers for owner Jack Charles, of Arrow Marine. It’s for sale, listed at just under US$2 million, reduced from $3 million. It’s famous for having been leased out to Jimmy Pattison during Expo 86, when he hosted Lady Di and Prince Charles. Other guests have included Mikhail Gorbachev, Boris Yeltsin, and Zsa Zsa Gabor. It’s often at Quayside; you pass it walking to the Aquabus stop. “If somebody wanted that boat,” says Bredbeck, “they’d get a screaming deal right now.”

I have a 41 tri cabin here in Campbell River.
Very nice boat for the family, we have comfortably slept 10 aboard. My dad has taken it to Alaska three times.
We did take out the chairs on castors!

I do have some questions on some interior spaces that seem to have no access.
Can't wait for this pandemic to end so I can lure you up to Campbell River with promises of rum to discuss...
We just bought a Canoe Cove 41 , can bring extra rum . Would like in on the stories

Well, Would you believe I was one of kids in the photo.

my father owned a scaffold and shoring rental company that also rented tower cranes. We used arrow to erect and dismantle the cranes and man hoists. Very easy to lift a boat into a pool. Water displaced 4 inches.

why? After purchasing the owls nest from canoe cove, a large party was planned for the christening at royal van in Stanley park but the boat build was late and the date was a problem. My brother joked about using the pool, and my father grew a smile much like the grinch.

as a foot note, Between 1960 and the mid 80s, we supplied the majority of shoring and equipment on Vancouver concrete structures until the business was sold.

Back