Conservation Measures for Northern and Southern BC Chinook Salmon and Southern Resident Killer Whale

All the more reason for us to unite to work to get more fish in the ocean. Otherwise we will just end up fighting over who gets how much as the salmon populations continue to decline!

We will see what happens June 20 regarding the fish farm liscence renewals. Hopefully the govt do the right thing. Getting disease and atlantics out of our ocean would be a great start. We need to increase the wild stocks! Watershed work must get the funding the critically need.

I have worked with Ken Pearce on several DFO issues for the past year or so and I know from his track record that he will add a new dimension to this mess that we find ourselves. With Ken leading the charge this group is going to get some action and be responsible for some major changes to the way our fishery is being managed in the years ahead. This is a one time, great opportunity to initiate some badly needed changes and Ken and his group are the real deal, so please give Ken and his group your full support. Nothing on this scale has ever been done before.

I have worked with Ken Pearce on several DFO issues for the past year or so and I know from his track record that he will add a new dimension to this mess that we find ourselves. With Ken leading the charge this group is going to get some action and be responsible for some major changes to the way our fishery is being managed in the years ahead. This is a one time, great opportunity to initiate some badly needed changes and Ken and his group are the real deal, so please give Ken and his group your full support. Nothing on this scale has ever been done before.

Ill probably reserve "full support" until there are some details on what the group actually stands for. Its name suggests they just want to kill seals.

great questions and observations, ziggy! The sound intensity also has an impact. I think whales/marine mammals can also get accustomed to some sounds.

Humpbacks talk in the 100-350Hz range; but can hear in the 30-8,000Hz range. Toothed whales (e.g. orcas) have best frequency of hearing between 80 and 150 kHz and maximum sensitivity between 40-50 dB - but can hear in the 80-25,000Hz range; often talking in the 6,000-12,000Hz range. Seals, on the other hand typically have a high-frequency cutoff in their underwater hearing between 30 and 60 kHz, and maximal sensitivity of about 60 dB; but listen in the 100-40,000Hz range.

What about the sound sources - intensities and frequencies?

Sounders typically operate in the 50-200KHz range; or 50,000 to 200,000Hz range at 250-500Watts. Not sure how watts translate into dBs; but 140dB = 100watts/m2 - and the sound is radiated downwards towards the bottom in a narrow cone of 10-20 degrees. It wouldn't be too many meters below the boat when the sound energy decreases exponentially - and more importantly - The frequency is far above most marine mammals hearing ability.

A zodiac/outboard transmits sound in the 5000-6,300Hz range at ~150dB at source; while a tanker 100-225Hz range at ~180dB at source. SOURCE: Richardson et al. (1995). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/book/9780080573038

A 195dB noise at source will be attenuated to ~129dB at 2km in the ocean; a 180dB noise will generate a response from marine mammals at 5km, but be undetectable within background noise at ~45km.

Thanks for this Agentaqua - I read that research and couldn't really understand it - this helps a lot but can you provide some implications regarding 1. A trolling speed; 2. A 4 or 5knt speed of an outboard on a boat following orcas in the suggested exclusion zone?
As I've been approached by orcas while I troll my assumption is that the acoustics from trolling is of little consequence but is that in fact the case?

great questions and observations, ziggy! The sound intensity also has an impact. I think whales/marine mammals can also get accustomed to some sounds.

Humpbacks talk in the 100-350Hz range; but can hear in the 30-8,000Hz range. Toothed whales (e.g. orcas) have best frequency of hearing between 80 and 150 kHz and maximum sensitivity between 40-50 dB - but can hear in the 80-25,000Hz range; often talking in the 6,000-12,000Hz range. Seals, on the other hand typically have a high-frequency cutoff in their underwater hearing between 30 and 60 kHz, and maximal sensitivity of about 60 dB; but listen in the 100-40,000Hz range.

What about the sound sources - intensities and frequencies?

Sounders typically operate in the 50-200KHz range; or 50,000 to 200,000Hz range at 250-500Watts. Not sure how watts translate into dBs; but 140dB = 100watts/m2 - and the sound is radiated downwards towards the bottom in a narrow cone of 10-20 degrees. It wouldn't be too many meters below the boat when the sound energy decreases exponentially - and more importantly - The frequency is far above most marine mammals hearing ability.

A zodiac/outboard transmits sound in the 5000-6,300Hz range at ~150dB at source; while a tanker 100-225Hz range at ~180dB at source. SOURCE: Richardson et al. (1995). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/book/9780080573038

A 195dB noise at source will be attenuated to ~129dB at 2km in the ocean; a 180dB noise will generate a response from marine mammals at 5km, but be undetectable within background noise at ~45km.
Thanks AA. I read another article that suggested the Orca hears best at 20-40 kHz and echolocates in the 20K range. In addition here is an interesting one

https://asa.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1121/1.427121

We lost round 1 to the Green ENGO's who mounted a highly organized social media campaign. They put out false "facts" based on wild assumptions - not science. The reason we need a well designed objective study of these Area Refuge Closures is there is no basis scientifically for their efficacy. We now risk significant expansion to other areas.

We can thank the Green ENGO's for the rather draconian Area Refuge closures which are not based on any real science.

The most recent call for input into expanding the Area Refuge Closure through DFO's new "consultation" process which is open until July 14 is aimed at areas such as Swiftsure and Laperouse (Big Bank). Suggest that before we expand area closures, that we first prove via solid well constructed science that they actually work! A more effective approach that also strikes a balance between protection and opportunity is a 400m mobile spatial vessel exclusion area or "bubble" strategy.

If you want to ensure that we don't see further expansion of these draconian measures, and in fact remove the existing one's (through science based alternatives like the bubble strategy), you best get on your social media account and start hammering away at Mr. Dress Up. I would also recommend everyone takes a moment to write something into the "official consultation." Here's the info on how you can respond to that:

Key points for discussion
  • The draft Amended Recovery Strategy updates the critical habitat for Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales based on new science advice
  • It identifies two additional areas of special importance as proposed critical habitat for Resident Killer Whales. These include:
    • waters on the continental shelf off southwestern Vancouver Island, including Swiftsure and La Pérouse Banks (important for both Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales)
    • waters of west Dixon Entrance, along the north coast of Graham Island from Langara to Rose Spit (important for Northern Resident Killer Whales)
  • The amendment also provides clarification of the functions, features and attributes for all critical habitat identified for Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales
Dear Sir / Madam:

Please find attached a letter of invitation to participate in the external review of the critical habitat section (section 7) of the Species at Risk Act draft Amended Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales in Canada. The critical habitat section of the Amended Recovery Strategy is attached, and the full document is available at the website below.

Website: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consultation/sara-lep/killerwhales-epaulards/index-eng.html

Please distribute this notice to any other individuals or organizations you believe may be interested in this review.

For more information please email- SARA.XPAC@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Thank you,

Ashley Dobko
Salmon Project Officer

Fisheries & Oceans Canada
200 - 401 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, V6C 3S4
Tel: 604.666.1505
Email:Ashley.Dobko@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Last edited:
We are entering a whole new era in our fight against the ongoing total incompetence and ineptitude of the DFO as they gradually take our fishery to the brink of extinction. Enough is enough. Ken Pearce and his group are going to lead the charge against this enormous mess that the politically manipulated DFO have created. It is not going to be an easy fight but I have faith that we have assembled a very powerful group of well informed smart stakeholders who will be able to make some significant changes in the way that our fishery is being managed. You have to ask yourself what is going on here and what can be done to correct a flawed, dysfunctional, poorly managed DFO? Please support Ken and his group as they are our only chance of changing a fishery management system that is not working.

I think there are many of us waiting for an organization to step forward that has a well defined plan, sound strategic objectives and a professional communications strategy. If an organization can’t communicate effectively with sports fishers there is no chance of influencing other groups and DFO. I am not criticizing any organizations, simply stating I believe the support is there when that happens.

I think that the out take below, from the draft Amended Recovery Strategy , pretty well explains how we became the victims of the implementation of a total fin fish closure in Area 18. The Minister of Fisheries
and the Minister responsible for the Parks Canada Agency simply agreed to a low cost strategy with a lack of full scientific certainty, and turned Area 18 into a Marine Park.
A cheap and dirty solution to an impending political problem.

Amended Recovery Strategy for Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales
[Draft]
iii
Preface
The federal, provincial, and territorial government signatories under the Accord for the Protection of Species at Risk (1996)
agreed to establish complementary legislation and programs that provide for effective protection of species at risk throughout Canada.
Under the Species at Risk Act (S.C. 2002, c.29) (SARA), the federal competent ministers are responsible for the preparation of a recovery strategy
for species listed as extirpated,endangered, or threatened and are required to report on progress five years after the publication of the final
document on the Species at Risk Public Registry.The Minister of Fisheries and Oceans and the Minister responsible for the Parks Canada Agency
are the competent ministers under SARA for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whale and have prepared this strategy, as per section 37 of SARA.
In preparing this recovery strategy, the competent ministers have considered, as per section 38 of SARA, the commitment of the Government of Canada
to conserving biological diversity and to the principle that, if there are threats of serious or irreversible damage to the listed species, cost -effective measures to
prevent the reduction or loss of the species should not be postponed for a lack of full scientific certainty. To the extent possible, the recovery strategy has been
prepared in cooperation with Environment and Climate Change Canada and the Province of British Columbia, as per section 39(1) of SARA.
In addition, both populations are considered trans -boundary in United States waters.
The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration also participated in its preparation

We are entering a whole new era in our fight against the ongoing total incompetence and ineptitude of the DFO as they gradually take our fishery to the brink of extinction. Enough is enough. Ken Pearce and his group are going to lead the charge against this enormous mess that the politically manipulated DFO have created. It is not going to be an easy fight but I have faith that we have assembled a very powerful group of well informed smart stakeholders who will be able to make some significant changes in the way that our fishery is being managed. You have to ask yourself what is going on here and what can be done to correct a flawed, dysfunctional, poorly managed DFO? Please support Ken and his group as they are our only chance of changing a fishery management system that is not working.
Who exactly is Ken Pearce and his group?

Not sure if forming another group makes much sense!? How about this Ken starts talking to the existing groups and tries to form some sort of strategic alliance?

If they are proposing closing down langara island to Rose spit for NRKW that would include some of the biggest and most expensive lodges on the Coast ( langara, WCFC, QC lodge) They already will be impacted by the reduced limits. As some guests might not be so keen to pay 6k to keep 2 chinook and 2 small halibut. I would think they are mobilizing resources to fight it. There are killer whales in that area a lot.

If they are proposing closing down langara island to Rose spit for NRKW that would include some of the biggest and most expensive lodges on the Coast ( langara, WCFC, QC lodge) They already will be impacted by the reduced limits. As some guests might not be so keen to pay 6k to keep 2 chinook and 2 small halibut. I would think they are mobilizing resources to fight it. There are killer whales in that area a lot.

Yes, if you look on the DFO consultation site this area up on north end of QCI is also part of the potential expansion. Couple of guide buddies up there tell me the fishing is scary dead. This certainly won't help.

Not sure if forming another group makes much sense!?

It doesn't. But it gives someone the opportunity to gain power, prestige, influence and standing.

Better off joining the envirobullies like the Raincoast Conservation Foundation, and then completely subverting them with a #feedthewhales campaign. It would be very easy to run an insurrection of these groups. Infiltrate & indoctrinate, then have a bloodless coup. Next thing you know, you have their troops protesting salmon farms and demanding money for bullwhip kelp nurseries, and their social media influence on the general population.

It doesn't. But it gives someone the opportunity to gain power, prestige, influence and standing.

Better off joining the envirobullies like the Raincoast Conservation Foundation, and then completely subverting them with a #feedthewhales campaign. It would be very easy to run an insurrection of these groups. Infiltrate & indoctrinate, then have a bloodless coup. Next thing you know, you have their troops protesting salmon farms and demanding money for bullwhip kelp nurseries, and their social media influence on the general population.

If you look at the provinces bigger ngo’s campaigns you’ll see that they’re already leading the charge on a lot of the same stuff sport fisherman are targetting ie Herring exploitation, deforestation, Fish farms, detrimental commercial fishing. They’ve done far more effective work against these industries than the sport sector thus far.

Our only option is to find common ground and work out any conflict that they have against our sector. I’ve already been in discussions with a number about the common concerns we share and tried to educate them on issues they see with our sector. Most (not all) have been very receptive. Just look at Pacific Wild and Sea Legacy who have recently highlighted that the SRKW are being used as a political pawn that ignores the fact DFO is managing our salmon into a downward spiral.

Thanks AA. I read another article that suggested the Orca hears best at 20-40 kHz and echolocates in the 20K range. In addition here is an interesting one

https://asa.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1121/1.427121

Thank Ziggy; some great info.

What we still don't know:

(1) How steep the roll-off curve is for Orca hearing of echo-location; we know they are down 5DB at 42 Khz, down 22 DB at 60 - 100Khz, but depending on the roll-off curve, 50Khz may be of significance. Although not shared with us, the scientists seem to fell it is an issue. As a retired fellow scientist with a fairly strong electronics/signal processing background, that's good enough for me.

(2) What capabilities to the Orca's have to know what frequency they transmitted on and be able to reject other frequency's?

(3) When in groups, does only a single pod member transmit, or do several members transmit & if so do the choose different frequency's?

So, being a scientist I am aware of general principles such as methodologies, and ethics in data gathering/analysis & tend to trust them. In my view, it's the politicians how cherry pick facts & cook the numbers. Ziggy, from your signature it looks like you tend to not believe anything unless you came up with it? Not an attack, just an observation; I think a fairly large portion of the population feels similar.

Back