Confused Dog

Mighty Sylvan

Today I was walking with friends and my family at Pipers Lagoon in Nanaimo when I noticed a dog swimming along the shore. I didn’t think much of it until I noticed the owner seeming concerned yelling at the pooch to come in. The dog turned out and continued swimming. Once it was about ¼ mile out it just began swimming in circles. My friend, concerned for the dogs safety called 911 and asked for the Coast Guard. I thought they would hang up on him considering it was a dog in danger but they were really good. They took all the information and said they would send help. By now, all the other people walking along the beach took notice and in a great display of humanity started whistling and calling for the dog. The owner by now has informed us the dog has been in the water for an hour and has swam well over a mile from Stevenson Point. Still, with great delay, it started back to shore and then would turn away again. The people on the beach continued to call and used their friendliest sounding voices to get the now visibly tired dog to come to shore. With an outpour of cheers “Buddy” limped onto the rocks. He was wrapped in a towel and leashed. My friend had to call 911 back and call off the Coast guard.
I was pleased Buddy made it home safe and equally pleased the Coast guard was willing to come out and help.

I rescued a dog @ the beach behind the Maritime Museum like that once-on my way back in from my regular swim I realised what was going on with the owner shouted himself hoarse and the poor mutt had no clue.

Since I had fins on I powered over grabbed his collar and more or less dragged him in never seen him @ that beach since (!)

I rescued a dog @ the beach behind the Maritime Museum like that once-on my way back in from my regular swim I realised what was going on with the owner shouted himself hoarse and the poor mutt had no clue.

Since I had fins on I powered over grabbed his collar and more or less dragged him in never seen him @ that beach since (!)

Good on you. It could have been risky if the dog started scratch and claw at you. I had a dog when I was a kid that would try to climb up on me when i was swimming. That dog hated the water.

Back