Concerned about the Spread of the Salmon ISA Virus ? Then Read This.

Done. The other point I made is the financial consequences of the devastation of the native food and ceremonial fishery. We the tax payer would probably be on the hook for compensation in some form.

Wayne

Done. Everyone is affected. The government would be all over this if it was avian bird flu or hoof and mouth disease. But because it is in the west and under water they don't care!

I see article about virus, is on front page Seattle Times sunday edition. I don't have link, I have the paper onboard.

Thanks so much for the link. Letter sent!!!!

Here' the reply I received from Fin Donelly who was cc'd on the letter to the DFO Minister:

Thank you for copying me on your letter to the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans on the potential discovery of Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISA) in British Columbia.
In July, I wrote to the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, asking what measures were in place to determine and detect if ISA, salmon leukemia, marine anemia or any other disease harmful to Canada’s wild salmon are present on the Pacific coast or at any stage of the industrial process. Months later the Minister sent me a general response that failed to convince me that DFO is taking the threat of ISA seriously.
Last week, in the House of Commons, I twice asked the Minister what actions the federal government will take to protect BC’s wild salmon from ISA.
Canada’s New Democrats believe the federal government must take immediate action to determine the existence of this potentially devastating virus in BC waters. While the Minister decides where to cut another $57 million from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans’ budget, he refuses to address the health of our already struggling wild salmon. The government’s lack of action on this important issue is becoming an embarrassment on the international stage.
Canada’s New Democrats will continue to hold the Conservative government to account to ensure we are taking the necessary steps to protect BC’s wild salmon.
For regular updates on this issue, and information on my bill to move to closed containment, please visit my website at www.FinDonnelly.ca.

Sincerely,

Fin Donnelly
Member of Parliament
New Westminster-Coquitlam and Port Moody
NDP Fisheries and Oceans critic

I got same letter

I got the same response too but that's ok a form letter response is better than the no response whatsoever I'm expecting to see from the Fisheries Minister

Back