Commercial Fish Harvester fined $12,500

yammy5

Commercial Fish Harvester Convicted of Fishing in a Closed Area; Vessel's Electronic Monitoring System Aids in Conviction

December 6, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Port Alberni, B.C. - Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) announced today that a commercial lingcod harvester has been fined $12,500 after pleading guilty to fishing for lingcod in a closed area.

On September 18, 2005, fishery officers encountered the commercial fishing vessel The Office fishing approximately 2.0 nautical miles inside the Swiftsure closed area on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. This area has been closed since the early 1990s to both recreational angling and commercial hook and line fishing. The master of the vessel, Adrian Slavko Kern, had caught 454 lingcod which were seized by the fishery officers and subsequently sold for a value of $2,788.80.

During the investigation, it was determined the vessel was carrying an Electronic Monitoring System (EMS) which recorded data and video of the entire fishing trip. This data showed the vessel had also fished the previous two days inside the closed area and that all the fish onboard had been caught in the closed area. The Crown was able to lay additional charges for September 16, and 17, 2005, because of the EMS data.

Recently, in Port Alberni provincial court, Mr. Kern appeared and pled guilty to fishing in a closed area for three days. Mr. Kern was fined $2,500 and ordered to pay an additional $10,000 dollars to lingcod research. He was given one year to pay the fine and the sanction.

DFO acts to end illegal fishing activity. As part of this work, the Department is asking the general public for information on activities of this nature or any contravention of the Fisheries Act and Regulations. Anyone with information can call the toll-free violation reporting line at 1-800-465-4336

I other news a senior DFO official has a new posting. (Read out of DFO).
I did a google on her and it was well worth a laugh / cry.[:0]
Her replacement was also worth a google search.:)
Hope this changes things for the sake of our kids.
GLG

Prime Minister announces changes in the senior ranks of the Public Service
6 December 2007
Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced today the following changes in the senior ranks of the Public Service.

Lucie McClung, currently Senior Associate Deputy Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, becomes Senior Advisor to the Privy Council Office, effective January 7, 2008, pending her next assignment.

Claire Dansereau, currently Senior Assistant Deputy Minister, Socio-Economic Policy and Regional Operations, Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, becomes Associate Deputy Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, effective January 7, 2008.
http://news.gc.ca/web/view/en/index.jsp?articleid=366189&categoryid=16

Ok lets do the math. 454 ling cod that were sold for $2500.00. Wow that is a great return.....NOT! Imagine how much the sport fishery would have generated for 454 lings. I think I caught a total of 4 last year and I probably spent $1000.00 in the process.

I like the $10,000 to lingcod research instead of a fine to general revenew.
It would be good to see all fines directed "directly" to a related concervation cause and even time served clearing rivers ect...

Tips

quote:lingcod research
Ah see that is the kicker. Who or what is lingcod research. Is that the fisherman's union, Local pool hall, school library? nobody knows. Sounds good though.

I hope they seized his boat and the sale of the equipment goes to a good cause.

Back