Coming to Cowichan June 20

F

fishinmom

Im a single mom - my son and i have been teaching ourselves to fish and go all the time where we live in the US. Always off piers and jetty's since we don't own a boat. Have been invited to stay with a friend at her lake house on Cowichan June 20-28. They have a dock and I want to try some fishing from the dock. Any tips for the kind of fish I can hope to catch? What kind of rods/reels/bait to use My friend doesn't fish so I have been searching online for answers.

I guess I will also need to know if you fish on top of the water or bottom - use heavier type of weights?

Thanks guys![:X]

Thanks for responding. She said it is close to Youbou - Swordfern in the Youbou area? Sorry, that's all foreign to me.

Well , you are up against a tough one. Lots of fish but they are very tricky to get into. Not like the smaller warmer nutrient rich waters of the south . These fish (primarily rainbows and Cutthroat trout) live in crystal clear deeeeeeep water sheds. I troll this lake in the same fashion as offshore Salmon. 75-120' in depth. From a dock you can try casting a fly and try retrieving it very slowly with the use of a full sink line. Or Bobber and worm. Or a plug cast aways out and retrieved eratically. All might get you a fish but like I said , it will be some work fore sure. Your chances for this type of fishing is better in the fall months when the fish home in on feeder creeks to chow on the eggs that are being deposited by the migratory salmon that pass through the lake. Very differant than the type of fishing you are used to I am sure. But hey , not going to catch anything without giving it a shot. If your here you've gotta give it a go. I understand, your here now so what are your options. I have heard this from years of guiding and you know what? It's all about the adventure anyways.

Good luck,have fun and take some pictures! It really is a beautiful lake.

Mark

PS, if your in the area anyways and you are adament about hooking into a few then you might want to GOGGLE Kenzies fishing adventures.

He lives on the river and is a very knowledgable guide.

Mark

Great Mark! Thanks - that's exactly what I'll do and I will give it a try from the dock too. I'm really looking forward to the beauty of your waters because it's sure not beautiful at my local lakes in TX.

Thanks again :)

Good for you guys. I am teaching my son young. He is now four and it is the perfect time to plant the seed. In between salmon fishing I always make a few trips to Cowichan Lake throughout the summer months. The river is excellent as well with trophy Brown trout up to 12 lbs. We have a spot up in Honeymoon Bay and fishing is a nice break from water skiing that time of year.

Again,

good luck

It IS hard fishing sometimes but anything can happen right?
We were camping way past Youbou and I had geared 4 kids up to fish the shore. Mainly just to get them interested and casting. Well one of the kids caught a small rainbow, about 10 inches with a tiny casting spoon I found in my tackle box. He went absolutely nuts. Pretty cool for him.
My best advice would be early morning or later evening with bobbers like mentioned above or casting inline spinners, spoons etc.
One is active and one is just sitting and relaxing.
Have fun. It's a beautiful area.

Thanks again guys! I'll make sure to take some pics and share them if we get lucky.

[:X]

Why not go to Shawnigan. Its not far away and you should be able to get some bass off the docks. You could make a day of it.

Why not go to Shawnigan. Its not far away and you should be able to get some bass off the docks. You could make a day of it.

Thanks! I may give that a try too. Where are the docks there - in case my friend doesn't know. Also - I know this may be a stupid question but not being a veteran fisherman, if i do that, what kind of bait/set up would I use for bass off the docks there?

Thanks again.

Fishin mom. Take your son down through Youbou to Cottonwood creek. You can hike through the old millsite to get to the creek mouth there is good fishing there. 48°52'28.02"N 124°14'11.97"W

And yes Swordfern is in Youbou

I remember fishing the south end of Shawnigan years ago. There was a private dock there we'd cast krocodiles with the solid red on half of one side. Caught and released dozens of 10 - 12 inch rainbows in less than an hour. Those were the days eh?

boat-1-1.jpg

In the 1950's the old Girl School Bay would come alive in the evening with trout( I lived only a quarter mile away from there) , just a bobber and worm and hammer them till it got dark.

AL

Back