Colquitz Creek Coho

With the vast improvement in local coho returns the past few years I'm putting a 1 wild and 3 hatch starting on Sept 15th and 2 wild and 2 hatch starting Oct 1st on my wish list for areas 19'& 20 for 2014.

I'll 2nd that motion...:)

1200??!! That is just awesome. How high will it go?!

I've been taking my son for some walks through the watershed and they are filling in everywhere! There is a fair bit spawning right now in Swan Creek and all the way up Colquitz.

Chris, are there any other small tributaries besides Swan Creek that you know that they spawn in?

If anyone is interested in going and checking them out, a couple good spots are by Mann Road and Daisy Ave, both in the Glanford area. Make sure that you are super quiet of they get spooked pretty easily, but both spots have good views to be had.

Keep up the great work!

Andrew, from what I learnt, the Swan Creek is the major spawning channel. But there are a number of other small tribs that may have the one or other suitable area. Chris Bos would know way more than me. I know for a fact that there were years that some coho would go into Beaver and Elk lake. But I believe since they installed the outlet structure down from the lake outlet, this hasn't occured anymore.

A good question would be, why is it so good this year? Anything we have done locally anything to do with it or just a lucky survival cycle out in the open?

A good question would be, why is it so good this year? Anything we have done locally anything to do with it or just a lucky survival cycle out in the open?

David Anderson,( fisheries minister ) closed Coho retention in 1997
and I believe it stayed closed for almost 10 years.
In combination with all the stream revival efforts, i believe this closure worked.

I meant 1-3 starting September 1st as apparently DfO likes things to start or end at the beginning or end of a month rather than in the middle.

David Anderson,( fisheries minister ) closed Coho retention in 1997
and I believe it stayed closed for almost 10 years.
In combination with all the stream revival efforts, i believe this closure worked.

Don't be fooled rs to believe that the sport take makes any significant difference. Not in the big picture. They can close us for good and it would not have any measurable impact on stocks overall. There is more at play here.

Back