Water levels - Holland Creek in Ladysmith

banger17

I took our usual fall stroll along the Holland Creek in Ladysmith yesterday to show the kids the fish and get outside for a couple of hours. There were some decent numbers of chum and coho in the creek, but holy hell it is low and the fish are struggling to say the least! Perhaps I am over-thinking it, but it seems quite grim. Lowest I have ever seen it, and it is Nov 10th. Nothing could make it up far past the Dogwood Ave bridge as it's so low, and lots of fish, dead and alive are stacked into the small lower pools. I also noticed the crazy amounts of log debris and damage from the AR's last fall. In some instances, the debris is stacked up 6-8' above the current stream level, indicating the massive amount of blowout on this little creek from those events last fall.

Another week of dry weather, and cant see the fish getting a reprieve to make it up any time soon. Makes me think that the returns in 3 and 4 years will be dismal given the AR water blowouts of 2021 and this ****-trickle through Nov of 2022.

Likely many other east Van Isle streams in the same situation, unfortunately. On the plus side, Nitinat and the west side got between 300-400mm rain in late October so I assume the flows there have been able to sustain good upstream movement?

I went and checked it out myself today, and ran into some volunteers from the Bush Creek hatchery. They were collecting brood stock. They also said that it was actually a decent return and the majority of the salmon made it to the spawning grounds which was nice to hear

Last edited:
I went and checked it out myself today, and ran into some volunteers from the Bush Creek hatchery. They were collecting brood stock. They also said that it was actually a decent return and the majority of the salmon made it to the spawning grounds which was nice to hear
Nice - thanks for confirming that!

Back