Coho increased harvest opportunities proposed in draft IFMP for WCVI

T

tofinofish

Proposed Changes to Recreational Fisheries for 2013/2014

6.1.1 Tidal Waters
Area 20, 23, 25, 25: Changes are proposed to increase terminal harvest opportunities for WCVI coho based on the positive status for these stocks described in the 2013 Salmon Outlook.

Feedback process open until April 1st

That is good news. There were cetainly a lot of them in area 20 (Sooke) last summer. This should mean more fish in the boat and less released damaged. May also take a little fishing pressure off the Chinook. I think its is also a Pink year so combined it should be a great year for taking you kids out to play some kid sized fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope it's not increased after oct 1st ... That's nice but bonus coho in August would be much nicer.

Hope it's not increased after oct 1st ... That's nice but bonus coho in August would be much nicer.
It is suppose to be for this summer on the west coast.
Will have to wait for more details when the rules come out.
GLG

I haven't heard much about where the South Thompson Coho are in their recovery. That makes me wonder if the relaxing of Coho restrictions will be designed to somehow allow an increase in WCVI stocks to be caught while still maintaining low impact on South Thompson.

I haven't heard much about where the South Thompson Coho are in their recovery. That makes me wonder if the relaxing of Coho restrictions will be designed to somehow allow an increase in WCVI stocks to be caught while still maintaining low impact on South Thompson.

Not directly answering your question, but on page 189 of the Draft IFMP, Area G Troll outline relating to Coho, it looks like after September 15th migation timing. You will also see that they have requested access to wild Coho at that time.

Management measures to protect stocks of concern, including Interior Fraser and Strait of Georgia coho, will constrain WCVI fisheries in the offshore area. However, there may be potential opportunities available for select hatchery marked coho retention during directed chinook fisheries. Any fishery that allows select hatchery marked coho retention will occur after September 15 when Interior Fraser and Strait of Georgia coho have migrated through the fishing area. Area G has requested retention of wild coho after September 15, when Interior Fraser River coho have left the area. The department will review the request.

Back