coho in sooke

codfish

Yesterday I caught a 20 pound wild coho I hear they are opening Oct. 1st for one wild.Good news this one was released unharmed unlike others I've seen floating around. If you don't plan on keeping one of these fine fish either tail it or use the pick to release the barbless hook. Shocker we're watching you.

dy

I usually take a few seconds to look for the adipose fin when I get a coho to the side of the boat and if it's a WILD fish that I plan to release then don't net it! If you remove the hooks while the fish is in the water it has a much better chance of survival. My 2 cents.

Anyway codfish, that's a damn nice sized coho! Are ya finding them near the beach or out in the tidelines!

Yammy5
This coho was right off otter point. Was out yesterday and picked up a 10 pounder in the same spot too many shakers out further. Plan on going out on the weekend so let me know if there is any more action.
Cheers Codfish

dy

Yeah there are a LOT of shakers offshore but there are also quite a few big coho. I found that by using spoons it was easier to remove the shakers and caused less damage since they have only one large hook. Also, by using LARGE spoons you reduce the number of shakers that hit the gear and big coho love 'em.

Anyway, good luck on the weekend - my season in Sooke is over and now it's time for prawning and crabbing!!!

codfish why are we watching the shocker??????????

There's One!!!!!!!!!

quote:
Yeah there are a LOT of shakers offshore but there are also quite a few big coho. I found that by using spoons it was easier to remove the shakers and caused less damage since they have only one large hook. Also, by using LARGE spoons you reduce the number of shakers that hit the gear and big coho love 'em.

Anyway, good luck on the weekend - my season in Sooke is over and now it's time for prawning and crabbing!!!

What types/size of spoon are good for coho in the Sooke/Secretary area...? Appreciate any tips!
Thnx.

My wife and I just got back from two days coho fishing in Sooke. We stayed at Sunny Shores, so we fished straight out from the mouth of the basin, in the second and third tidelines, to about 600 feet.

Saturday we were out from noon till about five. We were able to keep five - two wild, 14 and 8 pounds, and three clipped, two about 6 pounds and one lunch sized blueback (later sauteed in butter, garlic and lemon - man, was that ever good!!). There was non-stop action for the first hour and a half, and another brief bite at 3:30 or so.

On Sunday, we fished from 8 til 6. The weather and water were beautiful, but the fishing was slower. Still, we came in with another pair of wild ones, 13.5 and 10 pounds, and five more 6 to 8 pound hatchery fish. There was no real bite, just a fish every now and then.

Most of the fish were caught on old 5" green or pink Apex's, but we also got a few on a #602 Tomic plug. We didn't use flashers at all, so it made for some great action, especially from the wild ones! All but one were between 50 and 70 feet - the last clipped fish was caught at about 25 feet, right off Secretary in the first tideline, at the end of the day yesterday.

As we were getting ready to pack it in, we saw a school of coho for a few seconds - they were swimming like porpoises in the kelp of the tideline. These were not small fish, and we saw what looked like one or two dozen of them.

All in all, a great weekend of fishing.

Paul

Edited by - lpaulcarter on 10/10/2005 13:09:49

Edited by - lpaulcarter on 10/10/2005 13:12:25

Back