Coho clipping at Jack Brooks (SSE)

hey Tips UP, i think we just head up for the full day , so sounds like you got a taker for the half day thing, but thanks for thinking of me, turns out i might have friday night off anyways

well it was a fun day, even with wet and cold hands, good to meet some of the members
everyone must be resting there backs still;)

A good day, lots of fun, interesting people and a very good barbecue. Great to see parents taking their children to clip fish, an amazing learning experience for them. Perhaps some of those same children will go out fishing with their parents, catch and actually get to take home a Coho they helped clip. I can’t think of a better way to get the next generation interested in conservation and salmon enhancement. There seems to be some very dedicated people providing a huge amount of volunteer work to keeping this hatchery going and the sport fishing community, many business’s and the public at large owes them a great deal. It’s one thing to turn up once a year to clip fish and another to maintain the hatchery and feed fish every day.

Well said Rockfish, very true. Thanks for coming out! I hope that all of you who showed up today and helped will enjoy their special retention licence for the cohos in the fall and make good use of it! 2% of 20,000 = 400 nice cohos just for you! Nice! But remember this special licence is not transferable - your names are now registered at the hatchery! Have fun!

quote:Originally posted by dohboy

well it was a fun day, even with wet and cold hands, good to meet some of the members
everyone must be resting there backs still;)

good long soak in the hottub thx! Well worth it though, I just want a chance to have a part in being able to keep the fish I catch. Without this, our opportunities are getting few and far between. Thx much to all that were willing to come out.

Totally enjoyed myself. The hatchery volunteers are a down to earth bunch who are definately dedicated.
My back was killing me but it was a good pain.
It was also good to finally put names to faces and was also good to see the forum members who I already know again.
We also sent a donation to the hatchery this morning,I'm sure they could use it.
All in All a great day. With a great bunch of people.
Dan.

To all involved, below a message from Mel (president SSES):
quote:Hey, People;

Anybody seen summer ? I’m worried it was here and I missed it !! Went fishing this morning dressed like I was going snowshoeing – just ain’t right.

Anyway, what’s happening – with the invaluable help of Christoph, Dave and their group, we managed to clip 19,600 coho, so there should be a few around to catch in a couple of years. My thanks to all the members who spent the day, as well as all the guests who chipped (clipped ??) in. I promise to remember the cheese for the burgers, next time. My bad !!

The current plan for the sea-pens is : If there are enough people available on Saturday afternoon – well, early evening, we’ll release the fry and leave the nets on the floats for the night. Sunday, we’ll get everything taken apart and back to the hatchery. It would be best if we can get six or eight people for the release chore at the gov’t wharf, that net is a bit heavy to deal with. The marina net is smaller and easier, but the more, the merrier, of course. More on the process later.

Next weekend is also the first day of Saturday ticket sales at Eagle Eye. If you can put in an hour or two, could you let me know and I can pass it along to Don, so he can put a schedule together, if he hasn’t already.

What else ?? Oh, yeah – the steelhead fry are in a trough now and we’re getting them started on feeding. It still amazes me how tiny they are, for the great fish they turn into. Looks even weirder when the other troughs are full of the other fry. Some of them look big enough to pan-fry. Okay, maybe not that big, but they are a nice size. There will be more thinning on Thursday, so if you have some time and want a Les Eve guided trip of the Boneyard main, feel free to be at the gate at 9 that morning. Its kinda cool to watch them roar off into the river.

Once again, my thanks to all the members and guests who worked so hard on Saturday. Be sure to pass that along to the people, Cristoph. Mel

still amazing on the # we clipped, would do it again, now only if they would clip some chinook, lol
i cant wait to catch the v-clipped ones of your chris, hopefully they will remember my scent when they come back and find my hook[:p]

Any chance of putting another work party together to clip some Chinook and perhaps a few more coho? I understand the numbers clipped last year were much higher. I and many others would be up for it.

quote:Originally posted by Rockfish

Any chance of putting another work party together to clip some Chinook and perhaps a few more coho? I understand the numbers clipped last year were much higher. I and many others would be up for it.

well, as discussed, it does sound like this is something DFO is discouraging, so I doubt there will be opportunities. We will certainly tell you if something changes though. I am still going to look into the scanner thing at the marinas to see if its even a feasible solution - helps us, helps DFO, just the logistics of it.

Rockfish, can you please send me your contacts in a PM? Check your email please, I sent you a note. Thanks.

Nice to meet those who were there on Saturday. Smiley66 not sure I put together who you were. It was a good time shooting the $hit and time flew by.
Great job that hatchery is doing. Sad to hear some of the reasons more clipping is not done. Apparently any head from a clipped fish that is turned in and does not have a wire coded tag is counted as an American fish. Therefore if we clipped all of the Chinook and released them without coded tags then they would sku the accuracy of DFO's numbers. LOL! (because they are accurate [B)]).
250,000 fry raised and just the coho clipped on Saturday will be marked.
Anyways... again a great job done by this volunteer hatchery. They told me the only reason they do it is for the local fishermen. Their modo is "we hatch em... you catch em"
Big thanks to them!

Tips

Back