Coho clipping at Jack Brooks (SSE)

Deewar25

Turns out after all they do want to do some clipping if there are enough volunteers (not for information, but for clipped coho retention down the road). If you are interested in helping with this, please post a reply here so we can give approximate volunteer numbers back to Mel. It will be on the 29th (week Saturday) if it happens. May find this is all they end up doing, so here is your chance to help out.

calendar is clear so I'm up again for it...Doug's just left and is back at work on 31st, so not sure if he's around for weekend or not - said he and Diana would...I'm sure we could get a few of the committee guys out too

Id like to come out but working that Saturday..... no Sundays?

quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

Id like to come out but working that Saturday..... no Sundays?

Past years I think they did it over a couple weeks, however, DFO has told them to stop the clipping program as I understand it, so it sounds like this is a limited time offer here to get as much as we can do done in a day. I would expect more response here (especially from guides) if we actually wanted to keep a coho before October. Seemed people cared last year:

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13397

As I understand it, they won't do ANY if there aren't enough volunteers, so those of you out there that like fishing for coho, please step up.

thats correct - up in Camp Bernard direction. Me or Chris73 will give the timing details if there are enough people and its a go ahead, but I imagine 9am-whenever kind of thing.

Deewar25 - You said that DFO has told them to "stop the clipping program". This makes no sence to me as one would think that every hatchery fish should be clipped. Anyone know why DFO would not want hatchery fish clipped?

quote:Originally posted by Rockfish

Deewar25 - You said that DFO has told them to "stop the clipping program". This makes no sence to me as one would think that every hatchery fish should be clipped. Anyone know why DFO would not want hatchery fish clipped?

tell me about it...i'll let chris73 explain when he has a chance as I was so dumbfounded by the original point, that I wasn't able to pay attention and understand the rest of what he said. Something to do with them not liking what is happening with the US clipping program and they just wanted a select few wire coded tags and that was it. I don't know - hopefully he is around this weekend and can explain as I'm off to Rathtrevor, but Gerry who is a regular volunteer at SSE said the same...

Hiding the return on investment? [V]

Stunned and speechless.
Seems to me to be a great way to lose volunteers.
Contact your local SFAB
GLG

i am 99% sure i can make it, might be hard to be up that early for me, i work nights, but for one day it wont kill me:D

and i told the girlfriend about it, turns out she is off work that day and would be willing to help out as well
so you can count us in for 2 helpers

Ok, here is the story about the clipping. Orginally DFO only wanted those hatchery salmon clipped (adipose fin off) that received a Code Wire Tag implant as well so once someone caught a clipped salmon one would know for sure this is a tagged Canadian hatchery salmon and could turn the head in and DFO could do its scientific magic. The all of a sudden those bloody Amercians (I am being sarcastic as I am truly happy about this) came along and decided to produce millions of hatchery salmon down there and wouldn't you know it they decided to use the same type of marking for ALL their hatchery releases. Suddenly Canadian anglers would catch clipped salmon left right and centre and send in all those heads and DFO's labs were swamped with thousands of salmon heads of which only very few actually had the desired CWT in them. So LOTS more work for them to weed through all those US Clip-Heads in order to find the elusive Canadian Tag-Heads. If they could they would ask the US to stop clipping their fish or use a different type of marking their fish but I guess they haven't really come to terms yet. In the meantime DFO does not want any non-DFO hatcheries to clip their salmon releases to avoid even more dilution of the samples... The only reason why you have those fishing regs where you can keep clipped salmon but not unclipped ones - is not to give us at least some fishing targets or to keep the fishery alive - it's for the ONE and ONLY reason to gain back those CWT tagged and clipped salmon released by DFO. That all those US clipped salmon that actually keep some of our salmon fisheries alive here in BC is more or less a coincidental unwanted but for us positive side effect to the dismay of DFO.

heaven forbid they do something for our gain huh?? Ok, thanks - now I actually took that in! As to 'scientific magic'...you mean eenie meanie miney moe?

Word from tailout is maybe 6 more interested in the clip, so it sounds like 12 possible here minimum so far - do they have a cap that they can fit there assuming regulars would go as well? Fill us in 'assuming' this will go ahead then for timing and all.

Interesting update Deewar...in other words, if not for US hatcheries, our fall coho fishing would be fubar. Thank you USA!

Word from Mel at SSES yesterday: "As of tonight, there hasn’t been a huge outpouring of response to the proposal to clip some coho next weekend. Unless we have a commitment from at least 14 or 15 people, we’ll pass on the idea. The hope is to do two troughs of fry in one day and call it good. For that to work, we need more than four or five people snipping happily away. So----if we’re going to provide clipped coho for you fishing types to keep, down the road, stand up and toss your hat in the ring."

I'll be there.

pretty much...DFO cares squat about recreational fishing - dats obvious.
As for the update - that didn't include the interest me and Christoph was trying to drum up. I just sent Mel an update there - sounds like 14 interested now with you. I basically told him it likely won't be a case of how many can make it, but more like how many can they fit! I'll post the info when he replies.

Ok, we are good on count assuming those that said they were interested do come (including tailouts 6 which hopefully he can confirm). Sounds like they do max out because of space and logistics around 14-15 and we may be around 17-18, so if it was going to be a stretch for you, don't worry too much about it, and thanks much for the willingness. Please confirm if you won't be coming given that.

Meeting point will be Butler Main at 9am Saturday - he said there is no real time commitment - work as long as you are willing. Food will be served onsite. It is outside FYI if you are wondering about how warm to dress depending on weather.

Location here:
http://www.sookesalmonenhancementsociety.com/images/sookemapsmall.gif

10-15k clipped is better than none in my books!

I am unlikely to be able to stay all day ... as I will have my kids with me and they won't last more than a few hours. If there's more volunteers than can fit, it might be ideal to arrange a couple of shifts....more hands means lighter lifting for all.

One crew starts at 9, one crew replenished at lunch time maybe? Or too logistical? (you engineers can draw a gantt diagram or something ;))

Back