Coast Guard warns of explosive hazard after barge runs aground on Haida Gwaii

Heard from a fairly reliable source that insurance payout was $1.5 mill (or $1 mill, I forgot but know it was 7 figures) and then they sold it for $250,000.

Heard from a fairly reliable source that insurance payout was $1.5 mill (or $1 mill, I forgot but know it was 7 figures) and then they sold it for $250,000.

Yup,, lol not hard to tell why they didn't rebuild it. You know how many years it would take them to clear that much money on that little lodge.

Take the money and put it into the other operations, not a hard decision to make I would think.

Transport Canada has now imposed a bunch of new regs on floating lodges for 2019 season ...so the floating lodges are coasting that much more.... just waiting to see what that look like :(

I would think, given the age of that particular lodge, the insurance payout would not come close to paying to rebuild without substantial investment from Westcoast Resorts. It's sad, it was quite a nice lodge.
I think someone previously had posted they were paid out somewhere around $1million, which would not come close to replacing a lodge like that. Maybe 1/2 of the replacement cost. I think it was the same as the one at Englefield, which has a capacity of 46, at over 5K per trip the revenue potential at capacity was $6 million.

I think someone previously had posted they were paid out somewhere around $1million, which would not come close to replacing a lodge like that. Maybe 1/2 of the replacement cost. I think it was the same as the one at Englefield, which has a capacity of 46, at over 5K per trip the revenue potential at capacity was $6 million.
I think the Hippa Lodge used to be the Whale/Milbanke Sound lodge.

So with CQA gone from Hippa last year and now WCR gone this year there's no lodge at Hippa. I spent 9 years as Captain and Fish master at CQA at Hippa and it makes me sad there's no one there to enjoy this Magical place. Wish I could strap about 10 barrels of gas on my Trophy and make a run for my old summer home

By the looks of things the last few years that lodge game is getting to be a tough business to be in. Numbers up front may look good but huge expenses involved in running operations the size of some of these places. I think the family ran couple cabins and a boat or two operations make a decent living for themselves but it's a tough game trying to run an operation the size of some of these places based on a 4 month working season.

I've sat down and have went over the feasibility of a couple mid sized lodges that have went up for sale over the last few years and having the knowledge of being self employed for the better part of the last 25 years and running a couple different businesses. I couldn't make them work for me.

Last edited:
I don't know if it is easy money, who knows. They didn't get the place for free they had to build or buy it, maybe they were in to it for more money than that only they know. I know this, if it was a cash cow and a huge money maker they would be rebuilding not shutting it down.

I don't know if it is easy money, who knows. They didn't get the place for free they had to build or buy it, maybe they were in to it for more money than that only they know. I know this, if it was a cash cow and a huge money maker they would be rebuilding not shutting it down.
Sorry that was sarcasm

Lol,, I know fish but I think some people think that way, they just took the money and ran. Maybe they did who knows but I would have to say it was along thought out process for them.

Lol,, I know fish but I think some people think that way, they just took the money and ran. Maybe they did who knows but I would have to say it was along thought out process for them.
Would have to agree. They operate a number of other businesses and may have plans for more so they may have decided that cash could be better invested in something else they are doing. The Lodge seemed like a well run business, I would have to think it was profitable but there is more to such capital allocation decisions, and running fishing lodges may not be in their long term vision.

Back