clear coating

E

Even-tide

Do any of you clear coat your salmon gear( plugs and spoons) and if so what kind would you use. Does the action of spoons or plugs get effected by clear coating.
Only reason I ask is my favorite tomic plug is looking quite beat up from last summer. I bought some of these spoons with the sticker on them, they don't look very durable.

i dont coat my gear personaly,i have never really thought of it..i dont think it would change the action much if it all, but coating spoons might dull the shine slightly. I would buy a clear coat spray paint, or use clear coat sickens and paint it on.

To fish or not to fish,
What a stupid question!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish, and he will sit on a boat drinking beer for a life time :D
TGIF =Thank God It Floats

Many anglers clear coat their spoons with clear "hard as nails" nail polish to protect the finish and add a shean to the lure.
I also add 7 mm eyes to spoons with crazy glue. Doesn't seem to affect the action of the spoon and I fish it with more confidence. Don't know if the fish care or not.

I like the idea of adding the eyes to spoons . I was going to bye a sheet and add them to my spoons.

I have found that the water soluble clear coat spray works well. I usually add a glow eye on the colour side of the spoon especially the 6" tomic 500 and other Roadrunners for hali as they get beat on pretty good hanging off a spreader bar! I have been doing most off the coyote's for years and some teaser heads as well.Does it help? Who Knows. The water soluble stuff does'nt emit the harmful solvent smell that nail polish does, that i think might send springs on a detour. Oddly enough though, it seems as though the old faithful warriors in my box, with hardly a piece of paint as well as the teasers that are cracked and beaten get significantly more action ??I know commercial guys who scratch the snot outta brand new plugs and spoons before sending them down. "Springs Prey On The Weak Injured Beat On looking Herring/Pilchard and Squid First". Makes sense but i stil like nice new shiny gear...

I've used Tremclad Clear Spray on a few lures and jigs.......it is durable and lasts but eventually it will scratch up just like any other finish.......but beware:- if it is a home hand-painted spoon or plug etc, the Tremclad can make the paint finish "bleed" in some cases.

I also use Krylon Triple-Thick Clear Glaze Spray......this stuff is pretty good and dries way faster than Tremclad.
It is not water-based.

The longer you leave it, the more it hardens up....just like Tremclad or any other paint.

The Krylon really produces a nice shine on spoons or if you are spraying it over prism tape it will make the tape reflect light very well. Makes the light rays "pop".

Sally Hansen "Hard As Nails' clear nailpolish is one of the better clear nailpolishes out there..but even so, it does not last all that long
and I would only use it as a temporary "quick fix'.........It won't last that long as a finish on a spoon.

UV Blast Finish Coat is clear with U/V in it. It is a brush-on finish. While it may add some U/V to tackle it does not last too long and will start to peel off after awhile. Good for a onetime/one-use application...but you'll be redoing
the item soon after that.

I've tried Spar Varnish........but this has a slightly yellowy-browny tinge to it and if you paint over straight chrome or nickel it will change the color slightly, although it seems to be pretty durable.

When you first spray the Krylon on, it will look "misty".....but it will dry to crystal clear.

Doesn't mess up the action on spoons or plugs at all as far as I've seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back