Cleaning Table - Cutting Boards and Non Slip Fillet Mats?

SaltyAlice

Looking for some advice to make cleaning/filleting easy like Sunday morning. Will be for salmon/ling/hali etc.

I have an aluminum cleaning station that I was looking to get some cutting boards made for. I am curious to know what material you might suggest. It looks like I can get a piece of HDPE custom cut to fit for relatively cheap, and I'm also interested in non-slip filleting mats to sit atop the cutting surface. The reviews of non-slip filleting mats seem to be hit and miss with lots of apocryphal claims. Shop towels work decently for non-stick but it seems wasteful as opposed to something I could just wash.

What have people found as good solutions for large cutting surfaces as well as non-slip options?

Starboard for the cutting table surface and a non-slip doormat for on top like the one below. The doormat is easy to clean, but I usually only use it if I have a number of fish I need to get through quickly, otherwise I can deal with a bit of slipping on the starboard.

newspaper is amazing stuff to prevent your product from sliding around. sometimes it gets stuck to your fillets; then i just use the back side of filleting knife to knock the paper off

Go to PNT, they have some proper fish cleaning mats - they work slick. About $60 but, worth investing.

Go to PNT, they have some proper fish cleaning mats - they work slick. About $60 but, worth investing.

I have a large mat with a tall bristle texture on it. It’s great because all the slime and goo is washed to the bottom of the mat and the fish lays above it. I got it from Redden net in Campbell River years ago. I was told it’s what the commercial guys use to to dress out bottom fish. It was around $40-50 but is awesome when you have a load of fish to do.

I have a large mat with a tall bristle texture on it. It’s great because all the slime and goo is washed to the bottom of the mat and the fish lays above it. I got it from Redden net in Campbell River years ago. I was told it’s what the commercial guys use to to dress out bottom fish. It was around $40-50 but is awesome when you have a load of fish to do.
See post number 4 above… Exactly what that doormat is, but 1/2 the price - picked that idea up from a lodge.

Ive been using a door matt with a low pile carpet for years..can get them at can tire. Rubbery plastic on the back with little teets on that also work well for non slip. But the carpet side works awesome. Cleans off well and doesnt stink. Cheap option. Maybe $20

While doing some guiding years ago in the Charlotte's I've adopted what was used up there. And that is a tall, stiff bristle outdoor door mat.
The fish doesn't slide around on it while filleting it and it easy to clean after by hosing and banging all the slim and guts off of it.

Back