Cleaning fish

Striper Sniper

I was wondering what the usual practice is for cleaning fish when you are out for 3 or 4 days. I have always removed the scales when I clean my fish before bagging them to put them on ice however, a commercial fishing buddy of mine suggested that the scales should be left on until you are ready to process the fish at home........ the theory being that the fish will retain their moisture better. Any thoughts about this? Thanks, SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Striper Sniper

... however, a commercial fishing buddy of mine suggested that the scales should be left on until you are ready to process the fish at home........ the theory being that the fish will retain their moisture better.

100% agree with your buddy. The fish DO remain a better product by following this rule.

Even further, I never remove the scales until the fish is in the final stage of processing - ie cut into steaks / fillets before vacumn sealing. The fish I chose to smoke actually hit the freezer with but the head and guts removed, scales intact. They do keep better this way. Then scales are blown off with the hose prior to filleting and brining.

Cheers,
Nog

Scales should be left on if you plan on smoking your fish, other wise the fish will stick to the racks. Most commerical places will not take your fish for smoking if the scales are off. tight lines,.............BB

quote:Originally posted by Barnacle Bill

Scales should be left on if you plan on smoking your fish, other wise the fish will stick to the racks. Most commerical places will not take your fish for smoking if the scales are off. tight lines,.............BB

I ALWAYS</u> remove the scales prior to brining when I smoke fish. Allows better penetration of the brine, and the smoke once in the Big Unit. A little BarBee Pam goes a looooong way! Never had a problem with the "sticking" issue since I discovered that stuff ~ a decade ago.

And since I always smoke my own, no worries about what the commercial operators prefer [^]

Cheers,
Nog

I have always left the scales on if I plan on smoking the fish for the same reason as Barnacle Bill. I have a few pieces left over from last year that are vacuum packed with the scales off so I will give Nog's idea a try. :D SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

I never remove the scales from my fish till the time of use. Even then I leave them on unless someone likes to eat the skin. I grill and smoke all my fish skin down. I never cut steaks. I have heard of smoke house not taking them if they are scaled as well some smoke houses will not take them if they are filleted already. Which is interesting considering alot of fly in lodges fittet all of your fish before leaving do to weight. You have no choice as a guest of the lodge.

Agree with Nog

No Descaling , First Fillet ,I have now been deskinning my fish as well ,also carefully removing the brownish flesh from the skinside of the fillet , I believe this is fat , also very fishy ,IMO , A chef friend of mine does it this way , the difference in taste and flavor is unreal , atleast that`s what my friends and familly tell me , dalicsoius... Try it Mark....FD...;)

IMG_3509.jpg

I never remove the scales.

It hasn't been a problem for me no matter what I am doing with the meat.

quote: I grill and smoke all my fish skin down

Really? I cook mine flesh side down for 3 mins then flip it over onto the skin side to finnish. Not only does it cook it more evenly, but you get these cool looking grill marks on it when your done.

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

I never scale my fish. When smoking or grilling, I always grill skin side down on low heat til fat starts to show through meat then flip for 2 mins. Plus the skin taste awesome when crispy.

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

quote: I grill and smoke all my fish skin down

Really? I cook mine flesh side down for 3 mins then flip it over onto the skin side to finnish. Not only does it cook it more evenly, but you get these cool looking grill marks on it when your done.

Take only what you need.

Forgot to mention the other reason it should be done this way... it has the same effect as on beef, it is called searing. It will lock in the juices and is the proper way of grilling salmon, as well as about everything else. Usually I like to have the BBQ nice and hot put my sauce of BBQ, Worchestshire, brown sugar, veg oil, and spices on it just before I slap er down on the flesh side to sear it, then once it is nicly seared I turn the heat to low and flip it skin side down and forget about it till it is done.

But if I was to cut a whole fish up into steaks I might want to descale it right away before I cut it up. Sometimes I just get the hankering for a flour dipped butter fried salmon steak. ( I know.. call me weak..) And if it has scales on it it would be a real pain to pick em all off each side of every steak before you go and dip it in flour.

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by twinwinds

I never scale my fish. When smoking or grilling, I always grill skin side down on low heat til fat starts to show through meat then flip for 2 mins. Plus the skin taste awesome when crispy.
rolling on the floor laughing my butt off...............IT'S CRISPY because your eating the scales D/A....

Be nice HOOTEY. Without hurting anyone's feelings, people that scale their fish at the cleaning station are the same one's that coil rope counterclockwise and race around full bore in the fog: they just don't know any better. Don't knock the crispy scaly skin until you've tried it. The bones are the best part of a can of salmon while we're at it, especially if you don't drink milk which is a beverage for baby cows and uses up caloric space better reserved for rum and beer.

quote:Originally posted by tubber

Be nice HOOTEY. Without hurting anyone's feelings, people that scale their fish at the cleaning station are the same one's that coil rope counterclockwise and race around full bore in the fog: they just don't know any better. Don't knock the crispy scaly skin until you've tried it. The bones are the best part of a can of salmon while we're at it, especially if you don't drink milk which is a beverage for baby cows and uses up caloric space better reserved for rum and beer.
you would be correct,,,,my apologise....

I must admit I too like the skin, I have had it with and without the scales on and will eat it either way.... probably nicer without the scales but still tasty either way.

quote:people that scale their fish at the cleaning station are the same one's that coil rope counterclockwise and race around full bore in the fog: they just don't know any better.
Just for fun..... I happen to be left handed and I did a little experiment and it turns out I coil my rope backwards (counterclock wise) but I don't run a full speed in the fog or the dark and I don't descale at the cleaning station. Us lefty's have it rough enough as it is....lol. Individuality in the human race is a way for us to be unique which brings diversification when we come together and we need this in order for us to achive the impossible what ever it may be!! Everyone is different and all of us need to be more educated.... just that some are a little sharper then others.... I like to put it this way.... Its hard to soar like an eagle when you have to fly with sh*thawks....lol. My two cents worth.... thanks for listening.... Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

My last post was not directed towards anyone and was not ment to be taken seriously... I was just wasting time at work wishing I was fishing. Lets just get out there and catch some fish.... Steve.

Sometimes I think too much....lol. Glad you saw it as a joke too..... Steve.

Back